Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 16th, 2013 16:00

OPERATING SYSTEM WIN-ME INSTALL FOR COMPUTER CLASS ONLY

As I stated in the Subject line:

I purchased a old computer and installed a new HArd Drive (IT did not come with one installed) and Bought a O/S from Amazon (Windows ME).

Since the Little Sticker on the PC Case indicated Windows ME. 

Heres the Problem:  The O/S arrived and I read the fine print on the Box, and its only a Upgrade to Windows ME, from Win 98 or Win 98SE.

I was sure that the Disk I ordered was the Full O/S.  

Is there a Way to Down load WIN 98 from the Internet?, Or did I just purchase a $44.00 Beverage coaster?

By the Way, Since the Side of the Box said I had to have Windows 98/98SE, (And I don't) I went and installed from a WIN XP CD but just temporarily till I figure out what to do here?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 16th, 2013 17:00

Your options are very few for an OS that has been End of Life End of support for over 10 years.

Not sure why you would want WINME at all since most vendors never made drivers for ME and it quickly died the deserved death when WIN2000 came out which also is EOL EOS  for 10 years.

You did not say which Model Dell.  There is no more support for WIN98 or WINME or WIN2000 and XP goes dead April 9, 2014.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 16th, 2013 21:00

As I stated in the Subject line:

I purchased a old computer and installed a new HArd Drive (IT did not come with one installed) and Bought a O/S from Amazon (Windows ME).

Since the Little Sticker on the PC Case indicated Windows ME. 

Heres the Problem:  The O/S arrived and I read the fine print on the Box, and its only a Upgrade to Windows ME, from Win 98 or Win 98SE.

I was sure that the Disk I ordered was the Full O/S.  

Is there a Way to Down load WIN 98 from the Internet?, Or did I just purchase a $44.00 Beverage coaster?

By the Way, Since the Side of the Box said I had to have Windows 98/98SE, (And I don't) I went and installed from a WIN XP CD but just temporarily till I figure out what to do here?

Computer-Geek

Sounds like you have purchased a coaster, unless you are prepared to buy a copy of Win 98/98SE.

There are several places online to download Windows 98 but none of them are legal, as Windows 98 is not distributed online.

Bev.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

June 16th, 2013 21:00

Was there any particular reason you purchased an Me machine? I've seen much later units for $30 including shipping on eBay.

June 17th, 2013 20:00

as I said in the Subject line FOR COMPUTER CLASS ONLY,.  I'm studying for the A+ , and bought the HP pavilion intel 600MHz Machine to tear apart and put back together for $40.00.    and decided to try nto put the original O/S back on it.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 18th, 2013 08:00

Installation, repair, and reinstall for XP VISTA WIN7 WIN8 is QUITE A BIT DIFFERENT than WIN95/98/ME.

An Optiplex 620 or better would be a better choice.  Any Computer Class that is teaching you about Pentium 3 machines in 2013 is not giving you the tools you need to work with more modern equipment.

CompTIA A+  Exam 220 - 802

1.1 Compare and contrast the features and requirements of various Microsoft Operating Systems.
 Windows XP Home, Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Media Center, Windows XP 64-bit Professional
 Windows Vista Home Basic, Windows Vista Home Premium, Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista Ultimate, Windows Vista Enterprise
 Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 7 Enterprise
 Features:
o 32-bit vs. 64-bit
o Aero, gadgets, user account control, bit-locker, shadow copy, system restore, ready boost, sidebar, compatibility mode, XP mode, easy transfer, administrative tools, defender, Windows firewall, security center, event viewer, file structure and paths, category view vs. classic view
 Upgrade paths – differences between in place upgrades, compatibility tools, Windows upgrade OS advisor
1.2 Given a scenario, install, and configure the operating system.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

June 18th, 2013 11:00

Furthermore, Windows Me is not commonly used in businesses nowadays.

June 19th, 2013 08:00

Well, I dont know if this is the forum for criticing Computer Classes or computer Schools, The computer is not officially part of the class, I picked a old computer to look at the hard ware.  

If you want to give feed back on the class content, then I can provide you with the Computer class instructor contact information or school admin assistanant name. and you can discuss that with them.

that isnt what I post for.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 19th, 2013 09:00

"I'm studying for the A+ , and bought the HP pavilion intel 600MHz Machine"

This is the Dell community forum.

Nothing Dell supported or related has been posted here. 

The A+ certification is also not a Dell product. 

Windows 95/98/ME/2000 are not part of that certification and have not been for over a decade. 

Windows XP is End of life End of support as of April 9, 2014.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

June 19th, 2013 10:00

Well, I dont know if this is the forum for criticing Computer Classes or computer Schools, The computer is not officially part of the class, I picked a old computer to look at the hard ware.  

We're advising you that you need a more modern machine for practice if your objective is studying for the A+.

June 20th, 2013 13:00

Thank you for your reply, I think You haveanswered my question.

I'll delete the post ASAP.

:-/

No Events found!