Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 10th, 2009 10:00

OS Re-install

Hi

I am trying to re-install the Operating System on a Dell Dimension 4550, however the Dell logo screen does not appear for an indication of when to press the F12, I press the F12 key anyway, but nothing happens and can't re-install the OS. Any help would be appreciated.

26 Posts

Hello ibratt,

To access cmos screen you press the F2 key before your system beeps (single beep indicates successful POST - Power On Self Test). It has been years since I worked on my sister's 4550 so.... I think the boot order can be found under the "advanced settings" or "system configuration" section. Just be careful.

Hope this helps

Peace.

38 Posts

when your doing a re=install try to get the Bios to re-boot from the cd (normally its done by hitting F2, Remember the safe mode or boot from cd menu) , then it should automatically re-install windows after you pick partitions or whatever questions the cpu asks.

26 Posts

December 10th, 2009 11:00

If you still have the stock keyboard I would suggest you try it but the Microsogt KB should work. Does it have a PS2 plug or a USB? If it is USB that might be your ploblem. Just use a KB with a PS2 connector. Also you might need to reset your cmos. Easiest way to do that is to open the case and remove the cmos battery ( it should be a coin type cell), please note battery orientation (polarity), for at least 30 seconds. This should be enough time for the cmos to discharge. Reinsert the battery making sure you maintain correct polarity as noted above, close the case and power up your system.

Reply  to this  post if you need more assistance.

Peace.

4 Posts

December 10th, 2009 11:00

It doesn't seem to recognise F2 either, I am using a Msoft keyboard not the original Dell one could this be the problem? If I press F2 or F12 the system seems to hang.

4 Posts

December 10th, 2009 13:00

Thanks for the reply. I tried to reset the CMOS but this didn't change anything, I still have the same problem.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 10th, 2009 16:00

Hi, ibratt:

Do you have an old PS2 keyboard you can try? The other thing you could do is unplug the hard drive. Then the system won't find a boot device and should give you the F1 to continue/F2 for system setup prompt.

4 Posts

December 15th, 2009 08:00

Thanks for the reply. The problem was that I was connecting the PC to a TV with PC input and it wasn't displaying the Dell logo and when I hit the function key it didn't display the boot options. I connected the PC to a Dell monitor and resolved the situation. Thanks to everyone for the help.

No Events found!