Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 28th, 2012 11:00

Obtaining backup files from the "Recovery" Drive.

Computer: Dell Inspiron 570

I know that this post is probably going to sound like I am very computer naïve...because I apparently did something really stupid.

I had an issue that required me to delete my hard drive partition. (Long story, but this issue was resolved.)

Before deleting the partition, I saved my backup files to the "Recovery" drive and not the main hard drive. The recovery drive was around 40 GB of space, whereas the main hard drive is around 900. I did not have a CD to save my files on or a USB drive so I had hoped that this would work. However, I have absolutely no clue how to access this "Recovery" drive or if this even works for saving backup files. I hope that someone can enlighten me on this occurrence. Thank you!!

1.8K Posts

December 28th, 2012 23:00

Hi RockBanditPhil,

Have you deleted the 'Recovery' partition during Operating system re-installation?  If not, you can check and let me know if you are able to see or access the recovery partition of your computer under 'My computer'. You can also check the 'Disk management' to see the partitions on computer by following the steps below:

• Click on the 'Start' button and then choose 'Control Panel'. 
  • Click on the 'System and Security' link. In the 'System and Security' window, click on the 'Administrative Tools' heading located near the bottom of the window. 
  • In the 'Administrative Tools' window, double-click on the 'Computer Management' icon. 
  • When 'Computer Management' opens, click on 'Disk Management' on the left side of the window, located under 'Storage'. 
  • After a brief loading period, Disk Management should now appear on the right side of the Computer Management window. 
  • Check if the 'Recovery partition' is listed there.

Note: If you don't see 'Disk Management' listed, you may need to click on the |> icon to the left of the 'Storage' icon. 

You can now partition a hard drive, format a hard drive, change a drive's letter, and can view the partitions of hard drive. As an example, you can check an image below for 'Disk Management':

(Click on image for enlarged view. Options may vary depending on how you have configured system)

Also let me know if you get any error while accessing the 'recovery' partition.

Please share the findings. 

December 28th, 2012 23:00

Here is a picture of what I found there.

1.8K Posts

January 1st, 2013 07:00

Hi RockBanditPhil,

From the screenshot above, It appears while re-installation of the Operating system the partition is deleted and the data is lost. 

21 Posts

January 14th, 2013 00:00

from the screenshot that I found, you delete then entir drive and the reinstall the OS, so your data have been formatted. It is difficult to recover it in this case. But you can take some free data recovery software a try.

No Events found!