Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 12th, 2009 10:00

Opitplex 760 PSU issues

I have about 6 of these 760's, out of about 55 total, all shipped on the same day, with the same last 5 characters in the service tag number,  that sometimes, as they are in operation, they will just randomly shut off.  No warnings, no system beeps.  When powered back on, the power LED will blink amber twice, then power up green.

These 6 systems are in different buildings, thus, on different power schemes.

Doing some forum searching and general searching, I have not found anything from other enterprise organizations, that use these models, experiencing this problem.

I have not found anything from Dell saying there was a manufacturing issue.

Testing the PSU, all seems normal, and since they power back on, I don't feel confident that Dell will replace them.

We had a run of GX620's with bad PSUs in them, where after a power down, the system would never respond again.  Just a blinking yellow amber power LED.

I have replaced 40-50 PSUs from the GX620.

July 17th, 2009 11:00

We have not had any problems so far with the 760's. We have had a ton of 620's with popped capacitors, bad power supplies and bad hard drives.

1 Message

September 8th, 2009 16:00

We had ordered 8 of the 760's and have the same experience with two of them so far.  They will shutdown, power light will blink amber and the diagnostic lights 1 and 3 will blink a few times.  Turn them back on and all seems to be well so far.

3 Posts

September 21st, 2009 12:00

I have been experiencing the same thing.  Most notibly though we will see it more often out on the floor but when we pull it back and place it on our tech bench we can't get the problem to re-create.  On the few that have actually shown us the issues repeatedly we have changed first the PSUs, which didn't work, then the MOBO which seems to have fixed the problem.  I have also seen a few that boot up to the OS show some crazy verticle lines then cycle and do the samething all over again.  When I bring it back to the bench the issue won't happen, was thinking it might be a power issue in the plastic slapped together cubes in the environment but it's so random I can't seem to pinpoint the problem.  At this point I am believing there is some major issues with these boxes but just like the above comments suggest no one has posted about it hopefully Dell figures something out!!! 

3 Posts

September 21st, 2009 13:00

We have deployed masses of these systems and have seen multiple errors mostly revolving around random reboots and cycles very unusual amount of issues any way.  We don't use any UPS'!  So your saying the issues you were having was because you had them on a UPS or didn't have them on a UPS?  I do know that the building is setup with direct grounds for the systems and sometimes users place objects on the direct ground causing interferance but never have I seen a PC be affected maybe a monitor but never a system. 

2 Posts

September 21st, 2009 13:00

One of our other techs did a chat with a tell tech, and it appears that some of the PSUs need a UPS with a "pure sine wave".

Our guys opted for a replacment PSU.  Dell send us 4 of them, and they have been working fine for about a month.

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4  

This Dell forum thread has a lot of people with the same problem:

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19256717/19443097.aspx

Here are some pure sine wave UPS backups:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2012710072&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&Subcategory=72&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=pure+sine

1 Message

October 8th, 2009 20:00

I have 113 Dell 760's and about 13 are dead to dying. I get frozen screens, spontaneous reboots or just outright hard drive failure. 

Many of the previous models of Dells are sitting in my storage closet dead-dead-dead. What a waste of precious time and money they have proven to be.

I asked Dell to take them all back and let the sales staff know I will be buying HP from now on. The comlaints form faculty have been embarrassing and frequent. You can't teach from a computer that freezes randomly or spontaneously reboots in the middle of your lecture.

I get the impression too from Dell tech support that they are trying to skirt this obviously hardware issue by claiming it's all viruses. I am dead sure it's part of their script to try to steer customers away from demanding full service.

If you remember Intel when their Pentium chip couldn't add two numbers together and how Intel tried to cover up the issue, I think Dell is doing the same thing here. from bad capacitors even on replacement motherboards to simple but catastrophic failures right out of the box.

Times are hard but they won't get any better for Dell if they don't shape up. Other people build PC's too. I have 10 year old Compaqs just spinning away...

October 9th, 2009 06:00

We have not had any problems with the 760's yet. The 520 was pretty good and the 620's have been a nightmare with popped capacitors and bad hard drives. We finally got Dell to extend the warranty on the 620's. We spend about $500,000  to a Million dollars a year on Dell computers and Dell is very close to losing this account.

We are currently testing a handful of computers that HP sent us as test units.

What has happned to Dell?

GX50 - No problems

GX240 - No problems

GX260 - No problems

GX270 - Popped capacitors and the huge maxtor drive replacement

GX280 - Loud revving fans, popped capacitors, bad powersupplies

GX520 - No real problems

GX620 - Popped capacitors, bad Motherboards, Hard drive failures, Power supply failures

GX745 - Hard drive failures

GX755 - No real problems yet

GX760 - No real problems - YET

3 Posts

October 9th, 2009 06:00

Well i am glad someone is having no problems with these but I am still having issues.  Ever day I deploy one of these models the next day I get a hardware failure ticket on them saying the PC is rebooting randomly or cycling and the user can't login.  It's REDICULOUS!  I thought maybe the new bios update would fix it but it has NOT!!!  I have been discussing this issue with multiple techs on this account and everyone is seeing these problems.  We already knew Dell pushes systems with issues but these things have some definite ghosts, I hope Dell is listening/reading this or soon they are going to loose lots more accounts!!!! 

No Events found!