Mathetos
1 Copper

Opti 9020s with Intel I217-LM nics causing network issues

I have 9 Optiplex 9020 towers with Intel I217-LM nics.  When they are connected to my network, eventually the network suffers severe latency issues, making some of it unusable.  The problem disappears immediately when I disconnect the 9020s.  Problem is somewhat intermittent, resolution varies.  Usually unplugging any 3 or 4 of the workstations is sufficient for a while, but the remaining workstations eventually cause the same network problems.  I have isolated the problem to the workstations themselves by using different switches and physically moving the workstations to different wiring.

I have tried multiple fixed IPs as well as DHCP.  I have reimaged the systems, with only Win7 Pro and Windows updates installed, including the latest Intel drivers, the issue remains.  Dell support advised a BIOS version patch, and drivers off dell.com instead of windows update (an earlier version), but I don't hold much hope that will resolve the issue, as the BIOS patch has no network card changes, and I've tried multiple drivers already.

I've noticed the issue can occur while the workstations are "asleep," so I've turned off "respond to ARP requests without waking system" and couple similar sleep related settings.  Still waiting to see if that had any effect.

Any advice, correction, things to try, or even just sympathy would be most welcome!  Thanks for reading.

0 Kudos
64 Replies
jn-luc
1 Copper

RE: Opti 9020s with Intel I217-LM nics causing network issues

I have the same issue and I have over 40 Optiplex 9020s doing the same thing. I wish Dell would have a solution for this problem, but they don't. Lenovo might be best moving forward . . .

0 Kudos
Mathetos
1 Copper

Glad to know I'm not crazy!  

I did resolve the issue by going to Adapter Properties, clicking Configure, and deselecting everything on the Power Management tab.  The nic no longer does anything when the system sleeps, and my network issues disappeared completely.  (Settings like the above mentioned "respond to ARP when asleep" etc.)  

That resolved my issues completely.  Hope that helps.  

It's a weird problem given that Intel nics are so common.  I wonder if we got a weird hardware issue.  

jn-luc
1 Copper

Mathetos,

Thanks. I will give this a try asap . . .

jn-luc

0 Kudos
Mathetos
1 Copper

I'm curious to know what you find out.  Please let me know if that solves it for you. 

0 Kudos
TiffanydOKC
1 Copper

We are having the same problem. It looks like the traffic is IPv6 multicast traffic. Still don't have a solution though. Has anyone found a solution other rhan changing the adapter settings?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Mathetos
1 Copper

That's very interesting to know about the nature of the traffic.  I never looked at it.  Multicast would explain my network's behavior.  Can you unbind ipv6 from the nic?  I'd be curious to know if that changes it.  In my case, I do not require any functionality from the nic when in a low power state. 

0 Kudos
TiffanydOKC
1 Copper

We've gone with just turning off the power settings. So we can get the 9020s deployed. I have a ticket open with Dell and will update you if they come up with anything.

0 Kudos
jaimeyoung
1 Copper

Please let us know what Dell has to say about this issue, we are experiencing these exact same issues with the new 9020s. Thank you!

0 Kudos
jn-luc
1 Copper

Hello all,

So far Dell has nothing on the issue and they haven't got back to us, the best thing to do is to turn off those power settings on the NIC or else you won't be able to use these machines.

A special thanks to Mathetos for starting this thread, its been waaaay more helpful than Dell techs lol . . . .

jn-luc 

0 Kudos