Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 5th, 2017 10:00

OptiPlex 3040 Dual Monitor display issues

Hi All,

We've installed a number of Dell Optiplex 3040 machines running Windows 10 pro x64 at a customers site with dual Dell E2316H monitors connected directly via VGA and display port cables.

Two users have reported daily issues of the monitors flickering black and going off before coming back a few seconds later.

We've tried updating the graphics driver, firmware, changing power settings and swapping out cables for new ones - none of this has made any difference.

We've also asked the users to move desks and connect to working monitors. The issue followed the PC's and occured on the other monitors.

We only have remote access to the machines at the moment so Dell won't help troubleshoot.

I've seen other posts reporting the same issue with the Optiplex 3040's so wondering if this is a known issue.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

October 5th, 2017 12:00

Can you Private Message me a service tag of one of the systems that is having this issue? Also does it seem to matter what port/monitor is doing it, or are both monitors flickering?

Best regards,

Brad

281 Posts

October 6th, 2017 07:00

you have any walkie talkies or cell phones near the computer?

October 9th, 2017 09:00

Just to update this post with additional information I've been PMing.

I've got some more details from the customer today.

It could be either monitor flickering off while one continues to work, sometimes both flicker off at the same time. I think this suggests it's not related to the port on the machine. After 1-2 seconds the monitors come back up automatically.

It can happen several times a day or just once or twice, there is no pattern to this and doesen't correlate to anything the users are doing on their machines.

In regards to radio interference, all staff carry mobile phones but I don't think that's out of the ordinary! I wouldn't expect this to interfere with the signal on just two of the workstations?

When they moved the PC to another area, it was connected to new monitors which didn't previously display the issue.

Thanks for any suggestions.

281 Posts

October 10th, 2017 05:00

We never had the issue (at all) until we got the 5040's SFF (3040 in same family?) .  Odd blanking, random. Tried replacing monitrs, cables, different cable configs, and reimaging the PC--nothing fixed it...until...

Till one day I turned on a police walky-talkie near the pc and Zoink, the monitors went blank and came back up. hmmmm.  Tried it again--same result. tried it a third time, same result.  Moved the radio across the room (10+feet)--no issues.

--had another user with a cell phone-  left it on desk near the PC--they got the monitor blanking issue.  so I tried it on MY 5040 by leaving phone near PC--same thing.  When a phone call was coming in (or a text) the monitors would blank out.  This was also repeatable.

Now, from my previous thread below, I was told this is MY fault and basically to *** it.

en.community.dell.com/.../20983756

Funny thing is that this NEVER happened on our previous dell computers.  Just the 5040 (in our case)

I would guess that you are having the same issue.  I would try having your users keep their cells away from the PC's---like 6 ft if possible.

I know its an inconvenience, but according to Dell and their "help" they have here, its" too bad for you".

No Events found!