Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 7th, 2016 05:00

OptiPlex 7040 Micro missing heat sink on chipset - is it normal?

I have purchased an OptiPlex 7040 Micro system about two weeks ago. After opening the system I noticed that the heat sink for the chipset (Q 170 Skylake) is missing. You can see it in the picture below.

At the pictures in the user manual, actually downloaded from Dell, you can find the following picture with a heat sink as usually installed on main boards.

Because the German Customer Service is not really a help to me, they always send me different pictures of other main boards than mine, sometimes from the previous 9020 Micro, my question to you is:

Is the heat sink really missing (accidentally forgotten to install at factory) or is it planed out of the system for some reasons?

Because I don't want to let change the eventually newer main board by an older one from the customer service at Germany, it would be nice if anyone relay knowing the facts could answer.

• 

351 Posts

January 8th, 2016 08:00

There is no Heatsink on that chipset on the 7040M.

I've checked the internal pictures of the Motherboard and they show no Heatsink over that particular chip.

Also on your picture of the Motherboard in your system, you will notice that there are 2 positions on the Motherboard where the clip holders would be located (circled in white) and the actual clips are not soldered onto the Motherboard showing that the heatsink and subsequent clips are not required 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 7th, 2016 15:00

Newer chipsets don't have a northbridge heasink.  That has been the case for several years now. So yes its normal.

6 Posts

January 8th, 2016 08:00

First of all thank you for your answer!

What you wrote could be right, but please don't get me wrong, from where is your information about this?

My problem about this is the following.

The picture above, with the installed heatsink on the Q170 chipset, is from the actual "User Manual" for the OptiPlex 7040 from the Dell homepage. Also every picture I can find for the new Skylake OptiPlex 7040 Micro and also for the previous OptiPlex 9020 Micro systems, are all with installed heatsink on the PCH. Even a YouTube video from the 04.11.2015 about the OptiPlex 7040 from a trade show in Japan, where two guys open the case of the pc, shows an installed heatsink.

So I can not find any picture or other reliable indication that this is normal now!

Naturally I have asked my local Dell support about this, but at first they wanted to replace the mainboard of my system. Then I sent them the first picture that you can see in this post and they where not sure if the heatsink has been planned out, but they really were not sure!

After a while they sent me a picture of an older OptiPlex 9020 micro system without heatsink on it, but this picture was made for explanation reasons to show the position of chips and connections in there documentation and was without any heatsink on purpose. And also quite not my actual system.

So after all I don't feel very comfortable with whose answers, because I couldn't find only one OptiPlex 7040 Micro without the heatsink.

So it would be nice if anyone could give me an reliable information if the heatsink for the Q170 on the OptiPlex 7040 Micro has been canceled in production.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 7th, 2016 15:00

I didn't like this with my system so I bought a stick on heatsink that was designed for Video Ram Chips.

http://www.amazon.com/Cosmos-Aluminum-gaming-Cooling-Heatsinks/dp/B007XA969G

6 Posts

February 7th, 2016 15:00

When the new chipset's now come without heatsink I hope they don't get too hot!

Thanks for your efforts!

No Events found!