Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 25th, 2010 10:00

OptiPlex 745 does not recognize optical drives

OptiPlex 745 will not read or execute from CD or DVD drives on any SATA interface, whether at boot or inside WinXP  NOTE: the BIOS does report the a drive installed, and the correct manufacturer of optical drive in the "Drives" section.

Various troubleshooting methods tried: (Please read all before responding) :emotion-1:

(1) Upgrade to latests BIOS. Downgrade to BIOS several revisions in the past. (2) Replaced DVD drive with another "known good" from an OptiPlex.(3) Bought a new LG DVD drive and tried it. (4) Tried various SATA cables. (5) Swapped internal HDD and DVD drive between SATA 0 & 1 (6) Enabled SATA port 4. Confirmed SATA port 4 would work with a random SATA HDD, then rebooted PC and tried DVD drive there. No Joy.  (7) Removed BIOS battery and drained system of residual electricity. - -reset BIOS to default values. (8) Set SATA in BIOS from "Normal" to "Legacy" 

In conclusion, when I tried to boot to any bootable cd, the optical drive light blinks about once per second for a short while, and then the BIOS moves to the HDD for the boot process. Of course, if the drive is not recognized at boot, the O/S does not access it either.

I've never seen a SATA interface communicate with HDD's but not optical drives. :emotion-18:  Any help PLEASE!!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 26th, 2010 09:00

Code 39 means the driver is corrupt or missing.

Please try the below even if you have done some before as it is often the total process which solves
the issue.

Try this - Control Panel - Device Manager - CD/DVD - double click the device - Driver's Tab - click
Update Drivers (this will likely do nothing) - then RIGHT CLICK the drive - UNINSTALL - REBOOT
this will refresh the default driver stack. Even if drive is not shown continue below.

Then work your way through these - remember the drive could be bad, could have a loose cable or
 other issues.

Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060 - Automatic Fix

The CD drive or the DVD drive does not work as expected on a computer that you upgraded to Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

When you insert a CD or a DVD, Windows Vista may not recognize the disc
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939052

Your CD or DVD drive cannot read or write media - Automatic Fix
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems

CD/DVD drive does not appear in Windows Vista, or you receive this error during Windows Vista setup after booting from the DVD (AHCI)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952951

CD-R drive or CD-RW drive is not recognized as a recordable device
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316529/

Hardware devices not detected or not working -Automatic Fix
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/hardware_device_problems

Another possibility is that the cables are loose. Remove ALL power, then check cables in both
ends. Remove and replace, do not just push in.  Verify that the CMOS setup can "SEE" the drive.

6 Posts

November 28th, 2010 13:00

You have to wonder if peaple actually READ the post before they fire off an anwer . . . .

I stated quite clearly that ">>OptiPlex 745 will not read or execute from CD or DVD drives on any SATA interface, whether at boot or inside WinXP  NOTE: the BIOS does report the a drive installed, and the correct manufacturer of optical drive in the "Drives" section. "<< 

If post was read more throughly, anyone can surmise that the operating system does not have anything to do with the problem.  But what do we get here?? A bunch of URLs to microsoft tech articles. What of the problem that NO BOOTABLE CD IS RECOGNIZED BY THE OPTIPLEX?

If post was read more throughly, anyone can surmise that it's not a loose cable connection because of the extensive troubleshooting that was accomplished prior to the post in thos forum.  And where was a Code 39 mentioned anywhere in my post?  -  -  -  nowhere.

In short, not reading my post was not helpful.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 29th, 2010 05:00

Your Post was read and you say it is "seen" by the bios.

Therefore I would say its the OS.

Pressing F12 would bring up an option to boot from CDROM or that could be changed in the CMOS to Always Boot from CD.

Not bothering to go to the Microsoft sites where they have Fix Wizards is your choice.

Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs

The terse response is likely to not motivate anyone else to look at this further .

6 Posts

November 29th, 2010 10:00

Speedstep;

Just because the bios "sees" the optical drive, does not mean that the OptiPlex can "access"or "read" from the device.

Now, I'm going to type a longer than necessary explanation here, because  you have trouble reading.  The computer will not BOOT to any KNOWN GOOD CD FROM ANY ONE OF SEVERAL KNOWN GOOD DRIVES.  These good CDs are from several software utility manufacturers, using self-contained, bootable O/S's.  Some use a variation of Linux, some a FreeDOS operating system. And I've TESTED these CDs in everything from Dell desktops to HP ProLiant servers, Dell Poweredge servers, and clone built PCs. Finally, and most revealing, this OptiPlex will not read the Dell restore CD. This PROVES it's a Hardware issue, because the testing methodology excludes any particular O/S.

ARE YOU COMPREHENDING THIS?????  EXPLAIN HOW THIS CAN BE A WINDOWS PROBLEM!!!!   Did you ever understand my opening post?

Tell everyone who reads this WHY you wrote >>Not bothering to go to the Microsoft sites where they have Fix Wizards is your choice.<<

Is this Dell support training? Fix issues with Microsoft wizards or the the problem doesn't exist?

Is that warning about your motivation something you want displayed in the forum and mentioned on other forums?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 29th, 2010 14:00

Speedstep;

Just because the bios "sees" the optical drive, does not mean that the OptiPlex can "access"or "read" from the device.

Now, I'm going to type a longer than necessary explanation here, because  you have trouble reading.  The computer will not BOOT to any KNOWN GOOD CD FROM ANY ONE OF SEVERAL KNOWN GOOD DRIVES.  These good CDs are from several software utility manufacturers, using self-contained, bootable O/S's.  Some use a variation of Linux, some a FreeDOS operating system. And I've TESTED these CDs in everything from Dell desktops to HP ProLiant servers, Dell Poweredge servers, and clone built PCs. Finally, and most revealing, this OptiPlex will not read the Dell restore CD. This PROVES it's a Hardware issue, because the testing methodology excludes any particular O/S.

ARE YOU COMPREHENDING THIS?????  EXPLAIN HOW THIS CAN BE A WINDOWS PROBLEM!!!!   Did you ever understand my opening post?

Tell everyone who reads this WHY you wrote >>Not bothering to go to the Microsoft sites where they have Fix Wizards is your choice.<<

Is this Dell support training? Fix issues with Microsoft wizards or the the problem doesn't exist?

Is that warning about your motivation something you want displayed in the forum and mentioned on other forums?

fnbrowning

The members of the Dell Community Forum, with the exception of the Liaisons, are users, like yourself and are not employed by Dell, therefore have never received 'Dell Support Training'.

Bev.

6 Posts

December 2nd, 2010 18:00

Bev;

I stand corrected regarding the members of the Dell Community.  You probably think it was so unfair for me to be critical of someone who is undoubtly deemed highly altruistic by yourself for helping Dell owners.

However, rendering technical support requires that the support person, helpdesk, volunteer guru, whomever - take the time to understand the problem and apply the most correct solution possible. In the IT support world, it is not professional to be in too much of a hurry to listen to the end user,  too much of a hurry to fire off an answer - - any answer, even if it is wrong.  All good intentions aside, the wrong troubleshooting path is not a noble effort.

I have found the solution. It had nothing to do with Microsoft Windows. It had nothing to do with the optical drives. The solution came from somewhat a suprising corner, as the troubleshooting would have seemed to eliminated it as a cause. It may well strike others whose Dell is out of waranty like my system, and who need an answer.

I will be happy to share it with anyone who emails me. But I won't post it here without a logical, openminded, troubleshooting attempt.

Cheers.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 2nd, 2010 19:00

fnbrowning

Your comments are noted and appreciated. 

Bev.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 3rd, 2010 10:00

fnbrowning,

It is good that you found the solution. It is sad that you choose to not share it.

At issue here is your tone. Tone in the written language can be very hurtful.

If you found fault in how our users tried to help you, expressing it negatively certainly does not help them or you. All of these quotes are condescending and attacking the user. None of it belongs. The only stuff that belongs out here is troubleshooting.

"You have to wonder if peaple actually READ the post before they fire off an anwer"
That is negative and attacking the user.

" If post was read more throughly, anyone can surmise that the operating system does not have anything to do with the problem.  But what do we get here?? A bunch of URLs to microsoft tech articles. What of the problem that NO BOOTABLE CD IS RECOGNIZED BY THE OPTIPLEX?"

"because  you have trouble reading."

"ARE YOU COMPREHENDING THIS?"

1 Message

December 13th, 2010 06:00

Can you please share your solution?

Thank you.

6 Posts

December 22nd, 2010 07:00

Dell-Chris M;

I'm sorry there were hurt feelin's, but maybe you should consider the forum poster who has done more than due dilligence to step up to the plate presenting info to include many troubleshooting steps already taken, so that valuable resources and people's time is not wasted. And how do YOU react when you present an issue with all the forethought and consideration 13 years at Dell has taught you, but you are replied to as a newb?

Since you have taken upon yourself to instruct, please take another moment and suggest a method of replying to a forum post that is so far off base, that it was an entire waste of time to read?

Well, how I handled it was to rock the boat a bit to wake up the poster who was not paying attention.     Milquetoast for the hurt feelin's.

1 Message

June 3rd, 2011 10:00

fnbrowning,

Hi, I am facing the same issue with the same system; can you please send me the solution?

2 Posts

June 30th, 2011 05:00

Hi,

I have the same problem here...

fnbrowning, could you please send an advice?

Thanks in Advance.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 30th, 2011 07:00

Automatically diagnose and repair problems with your CD or DVD drive when trying to read or burn media. Find other automated solutions

What it fixes...
  • Your CD or DVD Drive does not read or write and is shown as disabled
  • The media in your CD or DVD drive cannot be read
  • The media cannot be written to by your CD or DVD drive
  • You receive one of the following errors:
    • A class specific or device specific driver is missing or corrupt
    • A CD or DVD drive cannot be found or is not connected
    • The CD or DVD drive is experiencing a problem that prevents it from working properly
    • The CD or DVD drive is not accessible via an assigned drive letter

6 Posts

July 1st, 2011 13:00

Speedstep is still posting the wrong solution because of a reading comprehension problem. If the post was read more throughly, anyone can surmise that the operating system ***does NOT have anything to do with the problem.***  But what do we get here?? A bunch of URLs to microsoft tech articles. What of the problem that NO BOOTABLE CD IS RECOGNIZED BY THE OPTIPLEX?"

SpeedStep can't get beyond a driver issue. It makes you wonder if  he is just trying to build a post count.

noclaf, Bopp2010.  Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Okay, if you problem is like mine, in that:

(1) You've tried known good drives

(2) Even known good bootable optical media cannot be executed by the OptiPlex.

(3) You've swapped SATA connections

Here is what I found:

On a hunch, I used a seperate power supply to power the molex connection on an optical drive, while it was plugged into the SATA bus on the OptiPlex. Guess what?? The optical drive was recognized!

It turns out that while the original power supply molex for the optical drive had enough VOLTAGE, it no longer had enough CURRENT to drive the motor. This was really weird because I got voltage from those pins,  so, I had assumed the p/s was not an issue. But, new power supply = solved problem!

2 Posts

July 2nd, 2011 03:00

Thanks a lot for your solution!

Will try this next Week, when I'm back at the Office.

Have a nice Weekend :)

No Events found!