Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

January 18th, 2016 11:00

OptiPlex 755, Windows 10, No automatic headset switching

I have an OptiPlex 755 running Win 10 Professional.  I have a speaker plugged into the rear sound port which works OK.  However when I plug my headset into the front port(s) the sound doesn't switch to them.  Instead I have to manually open the sound icon, select "Playback Device" and switch make the headset the default sound device.  Then when I'm through using the headset I have to manually reverse that process. Most of my Dell computers - some older than this one and running Win 10 Pro - automatically switch to the headset when it's plugged in and back to the speaker when the headset is unplugged. Is there some other setting somewhere in the innards of the OS to make that happen, or am I missing something.  I'd be grateful for any help.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 29th, 2016 07:00

The Optiplex 755 was only validated with XP/Vista. So where did you find a Windows 10 Analog Devices ADI 198x driver?

I am using the Optiplex 9020, Windows 7, with the Realtek onboard audio. I have the option for "Enable auto popup dialog" checked =

Which brings this up when I plug in headphones =

On your system, right mouse click the Dell Audio icon on the taskbar, click Sound Manager, click Advanced. What do you see?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 29th, 2016 08:00

Soundmax Audio ESP doesn't work with the generic AD198X driver.

You have to install the Directx 9 10 11 drivers. There are no 7 8 10 drivers and never will be.

You have to install The vista Audio Driver to get audio ESP.

The business speaker doesnt work either until you do.

You also have to install directx June 2010.

Downloading Directx june 2010 does not install it.  You have to extract the file into a folder and then run DXSETUP.EXE as administrator.

And Add features in control panel to put back legacy direct play.

• Before previous drivers will work in windows 8.1 you have to enable legacy features like DOTNET 2.0 3.5  and Directshow.  You must then install DIRECTX JUNE 2010 DRIVERS by downloading the file and extracting into a folder and running DXSETUP.exe.

Directx June 2010 which you download and extract to a FOLDER then run DXsetup.exe as administrator.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

in control panel, all control panel items,  programs and features.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh506443%28v=vs.110%29.aspx

Enable dotnet 2.0 3.5

enable legacy directshow.

Install Directx June 2010 Patch.

Legacy audio APIs such as DirectSound, DirectShow, and thewaveOutXxx functions enable applications to get and set the volume levels of audio streams.

Windows Media Source Filter. This behavior was maintained to ensure backward compatibility with applications that used the Windows Media Player 6.4. New applications should use the newer versions of QASF, which make the WM ASF Reader filter the default filter for playing ASF files.

For more information on the Windows Media suite of software development kits, see the Audio and Video section of the MDSN Library.

Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated HD Audio, v.6.10.x.5450, A01
      Analog Devices HD Audio driverMore details
        Windows Vista 32-bit
      Windows Vista 64-bit

January 29th, 2016 14:00

Thanks for all that.  I'll certainly look into it.

January 29th, 2016 14:00

Hi, and thanks for the response.

To answer your first question, When I bought the 755 from ebay, it came with Windows 7 Ultimate, so when 10 was released I got the little flag icon and upgraded.  Even though the machine wasn't tested past Vista (ugh), it ran perfectly on 7 and also now on 10.  . 

I just couldn't understand why I have to manually switch from speaker to headphones and back again.  Both devices work properly, but don't automatically switch to headphones when I plug them in.  My 755 doesn't have the above.  When I right click on the speaker icon in the system tray, all I get is:

Open Volume Mixer

Playback Device

Recording Device

Sounds

Troubleshoot Sound Problems

I can then click on "Playback Device" and manually switch from speaker to headphones.`

I guess I need to go to the Dell Support site and get the latest drivers, and see how they work.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 29th, 2016 23:00

I routinely install windows 10 on machines like OptiPlex 620 745 755 760 780 360 380 960 980 etc.

And they work fine.  I already linked the specific driver.

Audio ESP Detects when you plug something in and sets it for you.

January 31st, 2016 08:00

Hi Speedstep,

I followed the above, but no change.  When I downloaded (and self installed) the one and only audio driver file for this computer, the program that opened was "SoundMax".  When I clicked the "Next" button I got an error saying that it wasn't compatible with my hardware.  If that's the case, then why is it in the Dell Driver Download page for the OptiPlex 755???

Anyway, I went ahead and followed the rest of your instructions; i.e. made the control panel changes and installed DirectX from your link which installed without incident.  However, nothing has changed.  Left clicking on the sound icon in the system tray still opens the same context menu, and the selections are still the same.  Also, while the DirectX reported a successful installation, I don't see any signs of it.  I scanned for it with File Explorer and all I found were a couple of .dll files in with my Roxio 2012.

I looked in my Revo Uninstaller, and there're two sound programs installed; 1) SoundMAX (by Analog Devices), which, by the way is what Dell provided that claims is not compatible with my hardware, and 2) SmartSound Quicktracks 5 (by SmartSound Software, Inc.).

I don't know if I missed something or what, but I don't see any signs of SoundMax Audio ESP.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 2nd, 2016 08:00

I did the install as late as yesterday and it works fine with windows 10 both 32 bit and 64 bit.

You have to run the installer AFTER installing DOTNET and DXSETUP.EXE from the directx june 2010.

Uninstall smart sound as I have no idea what that is.

You must run the Dell installer as administrator and in compatibility mode for previous versions of windows. There is no mixing and matching.

The driver for the 745 is NOT the same as 755 or 760 or 780.

February 4th, 2016 08:00

Hi, and thanks again for your reply.228747.

I uninstalled the Smart Sound.

I did those things in that order, and ran the installer as administrator.  I uninstalled the Smart sound, restarted the computer and again tried to install the audio driver (as administrator) but got the same results.

I'm just wondering if I have the correct driver.  I went' to the Dell support site, entered my service tag, clicked on the downloads link, then the Audio drivers link.  There was only one file there, "R228747.exe".

I just went back to the Dell support site and let it scan for driver updates.  It came up with a BIOS update, so I installed it, and then tried again to install the audio driver; same results. an "Installation Failed" error message saying:

"The audio driver files do not support your HARDWARE.

Note: if you uninstalled audio software without restarting your PC, restart now, then run this setup again"

I thought I'd try uninstalling the sound driver, but couldn't find it in Revo Uninstaller nor Windows Programs and Features.  However, since the error message indicates incompatibility with my HARDWARE I'm afraid that if I uninstall the sound driver, I wouldn't be able to re-install it.

Also, I went to the executable's Properties' compatibility tab and tried every available setting, but no dice. Still got the error message.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 4th, 2016 08:00

http://downloads.dell.com/audio/R159387.EXE

Is the recommended driver for 745 and 755.

Its different for the 760, 780. 960, 980 etc.

Its the VISTA 32/64 driver.

There are no WIN7 or 8 or 10 drivers.  Never Will be.

I have validated several times that this works fine with windows 7 and 8 and 10 both 32 and 64 bit.  However the other caveats apply aka

DXsetup.exe run as administrator aka JUNE 2010 directx patch

as well as DOTNET 2.0 and 3.5 being installed via control panel add/remove features.  (You must be online for this to work because its not part of the base windows install disk.)  Nor is Legacy Direct Play.

No Events found!