Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 1st, 2015 07:00

OptiPlex 760

A friend has just purchased a OptiPlex 760 desktop and is attempting to do a install of Windows 7. When starting the install it appears that the HDD is not recognised and Windows 7 is asking for a driver. I am not a Dell expert and have never run into this problem on other machines. So we are stumped. Any advice please?   

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 3rd, 2015 07:00

If the hard drive cannot be found it may be that SATA 0 is not the hard drive.  This needs to be so.  The DVD Drive needs to be SATA 1. I have also seen this with MAXTOR Drives where it doesn't find the drive. Setting the Sata Operation to ATA instead of AHCI on these systems also causes the DVD to stop working.  You can only install this way using a USB External DVD.  Thats how I get XP on newer systems when the Optical Drive is SATA instead of PATA. The boot hard drive needs to be attached to the BLUE Sata Connector and the SATA Operation needs to be set to AHCI.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2755139

"A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing"
or "A media driver your computer needs is missing"
error message when you install Windows

This issue occurs for one of the following reasons:

• The installation DVD is removed during the setup process.
  • A low-quality DVD was used to create the installation DVD. 
  • The speed at which the installation DVD was burned was too fast. 
  • The DVD drive cannot read the media.
  • The ISO file is corrupted.
Resolution
To resolve this issue, use one of the following methods, as appropriate for your situation:
  • Burn the installation DVD at a slower speed. (1X, 2X, 4X)
  • Use a better quality DVD to create the installation DVD.
  • Update the BIOS firmware for your DVD drive.
  • Use the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool to create a bootable USB flash drive, and then use the USB flash drive to install Windows.
To troubleshoot this issue, use one of the following methods, as appropriate for your situation:
  • Run the DVD on a different computer to determine whether the DVD works correctly.
  • Test your DVD drive by using an official Windows installation DVD.
  • Attach the ISO file to a virtual machine to check whether it is corrupted.

2 Posts

August 4th, 2015 07:00

Thanks for all of your replies. I have now found by substitution that the HDD was faulty. I have replaced the disk with a new one and all is now well.  Thanks again.

No Events found!