Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 3rd, 2012 08:00

OptiPlex 780 - can't record system sound!!!

Okay, I re-installed the audio driver recommended by Dell .. I have win 7 64bit by the way.

After I re-installed the driver.  Everything else works but the recording system sounds.

I just can't do it with this computer.  I go to control panel -> hardware and sound-> and sound tab, under recording , it shows

Headset Microphone, Microphone, and Rear Input.

I can record from headset mic and microphone, but rear input is the problem!  this sound card/driver does not let me record system sound.

What I mean record system sound is when I want to record something from youtube using audacity internally, and it just won't work!  (by the way, I even went to custom of its proprieties and change use as microphone and still won't work) 

On my other dell laptops, it does not show rear input, it shows "Rec playback" (dell e6320)

Is there anyway that this can be fixed?   

3 Apprentice

• 

710 Posts

October 3rd, 2012 09:00

Hi,

1. Try running the 'audio recording troubleshooter' for Windows 7: http://bit.ly/QXPumC
- Download the fixit file on desktop
- Right click and 'Run as an administrator'
- Follow the on-screen instructions to fix the recording issue automatically

2. If the recording fixit does not resolve the issue, select correct 'Recording input device' in 'Audacity':
- Start 'Audacity' program
- Click 'Edit' > 'Preferences'
- From 'Recording device' drop-down select 'Devices' tab (Applies to legacy Audacity 1.2.x)

Note: In currently installed Audacity version, enable 'Device Toolbar' (Follow the next step)
- Click 'View' > 'Toolbars' > 'Device Toolbars'
- Select 'Line in': 'ADI 1984a' audio

3. If selecting a particular input does not work or you don't see the input you want, try enabling 'Stereo Mix' option in 'Windows 7' (see the steps listed below)
- Right click the 'speaker icon' in system tray (located at bottom right corner of the screen)
- Click 'Recording devices'

- Right-click on a blank area within the pane and ensure that both 'View Disabled Devices' and 'View Disconnected Devices' options are checked
- You should see a 'Stereo Mix' option appear (Refer to image below)

- Right-click on “Stereo Mix” and click “Enable” to be able to use it

- With 'Stereo Mix' enabled, you may open up your favorite recording program and select that instead of your microphone before you record. If you don’t see the option or your program doesn’t give you the ability to change the recording device, you may disable or unplug your microphone and make 'Stereo Mix' the default recording device.

Hope this helps. Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

5 Posts

October 3rd, 2012 10:00

Not working..... same, still show Rear Input Jack..

by the way, I think your post is pretty old,.. for one thing.  Have you had the same exact model? I know many people trying to help only based on what they assume they know, but not exactly what they have.   The picture you show is totally different from mine.   I never got stereo Mix, instead, I got rear jack input (as sound card)

Second, the audacity in your post shows 1.2.x, while the latest version is 2.0.x   That does not matter because choosing the preference is not the main issue of audacity.  The issue is really about "Rear Jack Input".  I don't know why my sound card does not show Stereo Mix,  

As I have mentioned before, my other laptop shows "Rec Playback" on the card itself.  I want someone who has exact same model, OS - WIN7,  to respond to see if they have the same problem.

5 Posts

October 3rd, 2012 10:00

See the picture "Rear Input" 

3 Apprentice

• 

710 Posts

October 8th, 2012 14:00

Hi,

Thank you for your response. Apologies for the delay as I am researching on this issue. It may take another 1 - 2 days. Will keep you posted.

5 Posts

October 9th, 2012 13:00

Trying to download the driver, same thing.. see message below

3 Apprentice

• 

710 Posts

Hi,

Could you please share the link of 'audio driver' that you used for installing the sound card drivers? Did you install it from the computer's 'Resource CD' or from Dell's support website? I recommend you try the following link to install the driver: http://dell.to/VLd23R

This is the most updated driver for your computer's sound card. Please check if it brings up 'Stereo Mix' option after installation. I also recommend you to perform 'Windows updates'. Please ensure that you select 'Show Disabled Devices' and 'Show Disconnected Devices' (As in image below). If not marked, 'Stereo Mix' option does not show up sometimes.

Hope this helps. Do reply with the results. I would be glad to assist.

5 Posts

I downloaded same file you suggested.  Stereo Mix does not show at all.  Same.  I am using windows 7 enterprise by the way.

3 Apprentice

• 

710 Posts

October 10th, 2012 13:00

Hi,

Sorry to know that the driver I suggested did not work. I am sure that you also enabled the options 'show disabled and disconnected devices'. I recommend you to try re-installing the 'Windows 7 operating system' to see if that works. Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

May 18th, 2013 04:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity.For assistance,with same issue or a different issue,please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                

No Events found!