Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 18th, 2009 19:00

OptiPlex 960 memory issue

So I have an OptiPlex 960 MT that came stock with 2 x 2GB sticks of 800MHz RAM.  In this setup, the BIOS shows it as 800MHz.

When I add another two sticks of the same spec'd RAM (2x2GB 800MHz), the BIOS shows them all as 667MHz.  I'm aware that if I were to add a pair of 667MHz, they all would default to the slowest speed.  However, these are all 800MHz.  I can swap the memory and each individual pair will show as 800MHz.  I even went as far as to pull a pair of 800MHz RAM from a different workstation with the same result.

So no matter my combination, when all four banks are full of 800MHz RAM, the bios defaults to 667MHz.  Is there something I'm missing or is this a bug?

Thanks.

-DLX

6 Posts

January 25th, 2009 07:00

Hi Deluxx,

Are you installing them in the correct order?  This is important for the 960 to correctly report the RAM.  Insert in socket 1 first (important), then socket 3, then 2 and 4.

Best regards

4 Posts

January 25th, 2009 09:00

Hello,

not sure if thats the case here, but some Mainboards do not support full speed with all 4 slots in use.

2 Posts

January 30th, 2009 09:00

Thanks for your responses...I appreciate it.

Yes, I installed them in the correct order.  I was sure to use the correct banks, not mixing the pairs. 

I've pretty much written this off as how the 960 handles the memory and/or an inconsistancy within the memory.  I was simply baffled as the second pair was by the same manufacturer of the exact same specs (Kingston DDR2 SDRAM 800 PC2 6400)...I even chose to purchase RAM of the same timing!)  Oh well...

To resolve the issue, I ordered a second pair of RAM so that all four slots are undoubtedly of the same manufacture type/group and all four sticks are now reporting at 800MHz.  I took the two original sticks and placed them in a different workstation for use (which reports 800MHz as well).

Thanks again!  ...but this mystery will stay unresolved. 

-DLX

4 Posts

January 30th, 2009 21:00

Hi,

glad u got it solved! Maybe the  RAM modules are using different  memory chips with different revisions and were therefore incompatible?

Best regards

olaf

4 Posts

February 6th, 2009 01:00

Hi Deluxx,

have you received my message? Would be really great if you could help me...

Thanks for your response.

Best regards

olaf

No Events found!