Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

September 12th, 2006 02:00

OptiPlex GX270 - ALERT! PREVIOUS SHUTDOWN DUE TO THERMAL EVENT

September 12th, 2006 13:00

Had the same problem

Mother board was replaced because of LEAKING CAPACITORS which can cause many problems

GOOD LUCK

• 

16.7K Posts

September 13th, 2006 12:00

hardcharger0502,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Contact Dell Support at 1-800-624-9896 and have them replace the heat sink fan.

9 Posts

October 3rd, 2006 15:00

I do believe you are wrong jesse... I have replaced nearly 50 system boards with the same message...

can someone own up to the fact or not if the warranty was extended on these??? If not I'm calling in with the 100 other service tags I have and getting system boards shipped out before they all expire...

13 Posts

October 4th, 2006 01:00

I've had the same problem.  Could not get a new motherboard from spare parts.  Could not get customer service to explain what I was suppose to do with my computer with a dead motherboard.  NO Way were they going to replace the motherboard.  No warranty on the motherboard.  I tried e-mail and direct connect.  Nothing.  Since we have 2 of the GX280's under warranty at work, I checked those and sure enough, they have the bad motherboards too.  Problem with that is so far 2 different motherboard have not worked, first they shipped the wrong one and today the other ones were DOA.  Replacement again tomorrow.
On my personal computer, Tech support told me to have my warranty extended (it expired in Jan 06) and bingo. Warranty extended and just a phone call away from replacement!  I couldn't BUY a motherboard (end of life part), but I can extend the warrant for 2 more years and the part is available.  I was upset because we have had tons of quirks and 2 system crashes with the computer and no one told us to check the motherboard while it was under warranty.  Then 2 more crashes in Feb and again in Oct, and still didn't know to check the motherboard.  I only found out when I got the Thermal Event and checked the forum.

823 Posts

October 5th, 2006 19:00

Boards with bad capacitors have a + logo on the top of the capacitors with a gold/orange stripe down the side. Good boards usually have a "K" or "T" logo on the top of the capacitors.

9 Posts

November 2nd, 2006 17:00

Anybody??? BUMP

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 4th, 2006 18:00

Dell OptiPlex™ SX270 / GX270 / GX280
Out of Warranty Support Program

Dell™ will provide out of warranty coverage in North, Central and South America for OptiPlex™SX270(UFF), GX270, GX280 systems with failed motherboards due to expanding or leaking capacitors for 5 years from date of purchase, or until 31-January-2008, whichever comes first.

We request that customers with qualifying systems contact Dell Technical Support at 1-800-822-8965. Please note, affected parts will not be dispatched through the WPD program and therefore will not be eligible for labor reimbursement.

For Systems Under Warranty

If a desktop computer listed in the "Products Affected" section has a failed motherboard exhibiting expanding or leaking capacitors, contact Dell Technical Support to have the motherboard replaced as per the existing Warranty Service coverage contract.

For Systems Out of Warranty

If a desktop computer listed in the "Products Affected" section has a failed motherboard exhibiting expanding or leaking capacitors and is still within the time period described below, contact Dell Technical Support to have the motherboard replaced at no charge per Dell's Next Business Day service coverage program.

The motherboard replacement program is valid for 5 years from the original date of purchase of the system or January 31, 2008, whichever occurs first. Systems that fall outside the motherboard replacement offer terms may be repaired under Dell's Out of Warranty service program.

Products Affected:

SX270 USFF (Ultra Small Form Factor)

GX270 SFF, SDT, SMT (All Form Factors - Small Form Factor, Small Desktop, Small-Mini Tower)

GX280 SFF, SDT, SMT (All Form Factors - Small Form Factor, Small Desktop, Small-Mini Tower)

2 Posts

July 9th, 2007 00:00

Thanks SpeedStep.  This was good info to have before contacting Dell.

FYI - I chatted with Dell waranty support on behalf of a customer whose warranty expired Aug 06, and they agreed to replace the board.  I simply told the rep up front that the system wouldn't boot, and I verified the memory and HD were good, and found 8 swollen capacitors.  This system was built Aug 03 with a service tag ending in 31.  All affected capacitors are Nichicon HN(M).  Board REV A00 (Made in China).

Message Edited by mhdawso on 07-08-2007 10:50 PM
No Events found!