Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 8th, 2004 19:00

Optiplex 170L versus Dimension 2400

We are planning to purchase new PC's for a lot of our employees.  We already have some Dimension 2400's, and we are happy with them.  We are considering the Optiplex 170L, however, for the new ones.  Other than a slightly faster processor on the Optiplex (2.80 Ghz vs. 2.660 Ghz), what are the benefits to purchasing the Optiplex's?  From a support standpoint, since we already have about 25 Dimension 2400's, I'm thinking...why switch?  They (the Optiplex's) are slightly less expensive...but only slightly.

I'd like to hear from some of you who have used both systems. 

2 Posts

April 10th, 2004 22:00

Hi,

Check out the specs, you might find a better "chip set" and possibly support for faster processor access (FSB speed) and better memory support. Browse a comparison of their detail specs and see which covers your needs best (now and future).

Just a suggestion,

SCPE

15 Posts

April 14th, 2004 18:00

Hi. We found here that the Optiplex line was much more consistent with respect to hardware as well. The dimension seems to get whatever hardware is the cheapest. From a business standpoint, consistency and supportability are factors to consider.

That and we still run NT, which we could get working on the dimensions we tested.

15 Posts

April 20th, 2004 14:00

Oops, geez... NOT I meant we could NOT get NT working on the dimensions.

14 Posts

April 20th, 2004 21:00

Thanks, everyone.  I appreciate the input.  We are using XP, and so far it works fine on our existing Dimension 2400's. 
No Events found!