Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 11th, 2016 12:00

Optiplex 7040 + WDS 2008R2

Hi,

From a base Windows 10 64 bit Enterprise disk, I cannot boot into WDS 2008R2.

I get error;

WdsClient:  An error occurred while obtaining an IP address from the DHCP server.  Please check to ensure that there is an operational DHCP server on this network segment.  

99/100 times that means a driver is missing.  

So I download Network_Driver_KJTXR_WN32_20.2.0.0_A00 from Dell which is the correct version listed for Windows 10.  Do a simple import and bam failures.  These are unsigned<ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> drivers making this 35 times more complicated.

I extract the drivers.  I then extract the boot.wim right off the Windows 10 iso.  I do a DISM import:

Make the following directories:

C:\Mount 
C:\Mount\Drivers 
C:\Mount\BootWIM 
C:\Scratch

Place boot.wim in C:\Mount

elevated command prompt;

1: DISM /Mount-Wim /WimFile:C:\Mount\boot.wim /Index:1 /ScratchDir:c:\Scratch /MountDir:C:\Mount\BootWIM

2. DISM /Image:C:\Mount\BootWIM /Add-Driver /Driver:C:\Mount\Drivers /recurse /forceunsigned

3. DISM /Unmount-Wim /MountDir:C:\Mount\BootWIM /Commit

The drivers are imported yay.  Replace the boot.wim

Boot into the new file and same error.

I go to load the drivers by hand (shift-F10) - drvload (insert all 3 .inis) with the same 0x800070002 error.

I got mad and added the ENTIRE windows 10 cab into the boot.ini just to see what happens.  Still has a DHCP error.  DHCP is up because I have other hardware connecting to it.  

So how do you get a 7040 working with WDS?

Thanks

February 29th, 2016 13:00

Did you ever figure this out?  I am having a similar problem with some Latitude E3350s.

Thanks,

-Ricky

1 Message

March 2nd, 2016 13:00

Are you putting your drivers in the right image within the .WIM? Try entering:

Dism /Get-ImageInfo /ImageFile:C:\path\to\your\image.wim

And see what all is in that file. You might be sticking the drivers in the wrong place.

1 Message

March 7th, 2016 22:00

Well this took a while !  For me it was a prob with the PCI-e SSD installed on the motherboard, installing WIN7  x64  no drivers for that.

So fails from scratch.

3 Posts

July 1st, 2016 08:00

I am having a similar issue trying to boot to network for an SCCM deployment using 7040's, all other models work fine. Checked and double checked drivers etc, all look correct.

No Events found!