Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 22nd, 2016 12:00

Optiplex 7040 Windows 7 system freeze

Purchased an Optiplex 7040 for a client in need of a POS system. Installed a video card, 2 x Samsung 500GB SSD's in RAID1, Windows 7 Pro and Dell drivers. The machine was returned to me a total of 3 times because of random freezes, no response from keyboard, mouse or power button. Passed all diagnostics.  Replaced the video card, memory and drives. Finally had Dell replace the motherboard yesterday. Clean install of Windows 7 on a single SSD, installed drivers and left it running all night (power settings changed to not allow sleep). System was frozen this morning. The PSU and CPU are to only two components not replaced. I'm going to try installing Windows 10 next.

The machine is long past the 30 return window. I've given the customer a new computer, now I'm stuck with a $1000 POS that isn't working right.

Thoughts or ideas?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 22nd, 2016 14:00

Have you checked in Device Manager to make sure the Power Management tabs for each of your USB root hubs and Human Interface Devices that have a Power Management tab, are not set to "Allow PC to turn off..."?

Have you disabled USB Selective Suspend on the Advanced Options screen in your Power plan?

This is a family friendly forum so we can do without your urban dictionary comments...

1 Message

March 22nd, 2016 20:00

Just installed a 7040 for their POS as well, had it lock up during install, then once after the user was setup with it.

I've installed the latest BIOS and am interested in knowing if you got anywhere with the advice from Dell?

May 18th, 2016 12:00

Received shipment of our first 7040 this week. The machine is "freezing" on us too. In our case it appears to be entering a sleep mode, and is unwakable. Hard reboot if the only solution. Really hard to know if this truly a sleep problem, or a crash/freeze to black screen.

All sleep settings are turned off in the OS, and sleep is blocked in the BIOS.

3 Posts

June 27th, 2016 17:00

Did this issue get resolved? I am experiencing similar issues, seemingly at random on different 7040 SFF systems. I suspect the video drivers because I started experiencing the lockup issue (most recently) just after a fresh image, most of the windows updates and updating the intel video drivers to latest version on Dell's site.

I have also experienced the issue where the system does not resume from a monitor sleep (not system sleep). It was unresponsive to network (no ping/unc/rdp). I had to hard power down manually. I tried to reproduce but was unable to.

June 28th, 2016 05:00

No resolution for us yet. Happening on all 3 7040s we have. We believe we've isolated this down to a video/display issue. The one setting that seems to have the biggest impact for us is the display/screen sleep setting. If that is set to sleep after X minutes, it seems to freeze the system and require hard reboot. If we set that setting to never, we do not experience the problem.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 28th, 2016 11:00

You likely have both Intel onboard graphics and an add-in video card. So update the drivers for both.

Make sure you also have the latest Intel chipset drivers (all 3 of them) and the latest Intel USB3 driver too.

No Events found!