Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

May 27th, 2009 11:00

Optiplex 740: Hardware Virtualization support?

Although the AMD Utility indicates that the processor in my machine supports virtualization,  I can't see how to enable it.  The Instructions for Dell machines at the Microsoft site and 2 documents in the Dell technical library talk offer instructions for Intel processors. 

Where/how can I enable virtualization support for this machine?

Thank you.

September 27th, 2011 10:00

I can't speak for ESXi specifically (having never used it) but I suspect the problem might be the "upgrade".  At least with Windows, Linux, (etc), I have never gotten reliable results with trying to migrate a system via an upgrade. Have you tried a clean install of the 5.0 verson instead of an upgrade?

This also sounds like a Golden Opportunity to write a bug report for ESXi 5.0.

What say ye?

Jim

20 Posts

September 27th, 2011 13:00

I'm also using Dell 740's in my home 4.1 ESXi vSphere lab and was hoping to make the jump to vSphere ESXi 5.0 shortly.  Keep us posted on your progress!

6 Posts

September 27th, 2011 17:00

There is no ESX 5 driver for the  onboard broadcom NIC on the ESX 5 installer nor on the website

downloads.vmware.com/.../5_0

if you disable the NIC in the bios, then the installer won't "purple screen of death"  but the installer will stop as it does not detect a NIC

6 Posts

September 28th, 2011 08:00

I did a simple search for "Intel 10 Gigabit AF DA Dual Port Server Adapter Network adapter" and google returned many results most of them $550+ which is not realistic for defunct Dell optiplex!

20 Posts

September 28th, 2011 08:00

Perhaps you can disable the onboard NIC but install a 1 gig PCI ethernet card.  I would suggest a multi-port card so that you can fully test our functionality of vSphere 5 like distributed vSwitches and other features.

The brings me to another question.  Where the heck can you find 1 gig multiport PCI cards that are compatible with vSphere 5.0?  I've searched the HCL and found tonnes of cards, but when you try searching for an actually supplier of the card it seems next to impossible!  Has anyone else found a source?  I think that could be the solution here.

20 Posts

September 28th, 2011 12:00

Yep, price is definitely an issue, but I'm just having a problem finding a supplier of the card!  For example, I search for intel PCI 1 gig dual port and I get this result:

Intel® PRO/1000 MT Dual Port Server Adapter - www.intel.com/.../pro-1000-mt-dp.html

Next, check the VMware HCL:

It's compatible!  Woo hoo!

Now I check the price: 221.99?

Damn, that's 221.99 x2 becuase I have two host nodes for a grand total of 443.98 plus taxes and shipping.  There's got to be a cheaper option somewhere so I keep checking. 

I search for Intel PCI 1 gig dual port Ethernet cards on Amazon.  Find these results:

Single Bulk Intel PRO/1000 Pt Dual Port Server Adapter C Bulk Pack - Item model number: EXPI9402PTBLK

Intel PRO/1000 Pt Dual Port Server Adapter - Item model number: EXPI9402PT

Intel PWLA8492MT PRO/1000 MT PCI/PCI-X Dual Port Server Adapter - Item model number: PWLA8492MT

Next, search the model numbers on the VMware HCL - FML they're just not there.  

It's completely ridiculous!!  All I want is a compatible 1 gig dual port Ethernet card that doesn't cost my than my entire computer did.  I'd prefer a single card but at this point I'm will to buy 4 1 gig Ethernet cards as long as they are on the VMware HCL.

Has anyone else had to deal with this and how did you find a compatible card you could actually purchase somewhere?

6 Posts

September 28th, 2011 13:00

Yes i think so, turns out the Dell optiplex 740 supports pci-express low profile. This seems to be the best i could find:

www.pcloft.com/inprmtlowprs.html

6 Posts

September 28th, 2011 14:00

got hold of one of these for $25 and plan to try, will let you know INTEL PRO/1000 GT, PWLA8891GTLBLK

6 Posts

October 3rd, 2011 12:00

this adapter worked

20 Posts

October 4th, 2011 05:00

Great news!  Good to know I'll be able to work with vSphere 5 without having to buy a brand new home lab.

1 Message

February 29th, 2012 13:00

Thanks for the tip on the NIC :)

1 Message

July 18th, 2012 08:00

Hi guys,

I am wondering if there's a way to utilize IOMMU to allow ESXi accessing PCI cards directly. Seems VTd  works with Optiplex 755 and other Intel based platforms. I need to allow one VM to access a PCI card natively... Would be great if one of you would have a hint or link to point me into the right direction.

Thanks,

Linus

No Events found!