Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 19th, 2012 17:00

Optiplex 745 Not able to restart (STRANGE)

Hey there everyone, I've got a very strange question for ya'all on an Optiplex 745, the normal sized one (Core2 Duo, 1GB of RAM, 40GB Hard Drive, etc.) and found that after setting up Windows, I can shut down the computer fine with the shut down option, but I cannot restart. If I try to restart, the computer will stay on after Windows quits and slowly ramp the fan speed up to 100%, only it never does anything and you have to hold down the power key to shut it off. I've checked through the BIOS settings numerous times and even did one of their BIOS updates, but I'm still getting the same thing. This happens even if I boot a live cd of Windows or click "restart" in anything, so I'm pretty sure it's not a Windows related problem. Could something perhaps be shorted or a weird setting left checked in the BIOS (I did get this thing used, for the record and found my fair share of strangely set BIOS settings that gave me problems)?

Thanks.

- 2B

14.4K Posts

January 19th, 2012 18:00

Try this to find out what is stopping shutdown.

Click on Start and then Control Panel. Click on "Performance Information and Tools", click on Advanced Tools and see if it has any yellow error messages at the top of the screen. This may list "Programs are causing windows to shut down slowly. View details", if so click on the error message and it should identify the program.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 28th, 2012 16:00

Well, I got it figured out. Apparently, the onboard video card is the cause of loads of problems. Adding a different video card and disabling the onboard seems to have solved everything.

Impressive.

- 2B

14.4K Posts

January 28th, 2012 17:00

Glad to hear you are up and running. Thanks for posting back.

5 Posts

October 10th, 2013 07:00

how do you disable the on board video card, i do not see that option in the setup.

No Events found!