Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 27th, 2011 03:00

Optiplex 745 problem - diagnostic lights 1, 3 & 4

Hi, My son's 2nd hand Optiplex 745 has suddenly stopped working, it wont boot, there is nothing going to the screen but the fan etc all seems to be working.

I checked the diagnostic lights and have 1, 3 & 4 lit.

That specific combination doesn't seem to be detailed anywhere.

From looking about, I think it is a problem with the memory thingys.  I have tried removing them one at a time (I have two) and putting them back in but no change.

I am not very techie, so please be gentle, but I would really appreciate any help you can give.  :o)  

Anne

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 27th, 2011 04:00

Hi Anne,

As you have guessed, 1, 3 and 4 most likely indicate a problem with the RAM modules. One suggestion would be to remove both modules (or thingys), then replace one of them in the slot marked DIMM1. If you get the same error, try the other one in the same slot. If one of these enables the computer to start without error, then replace the bad one. However, diagnosing the specific problem can be tricky. Should this not work, I might recommend you bring your son's computer to a local computer shop for diagnosis and repair.

3 Posts

November 27th, 2011 05:00

Thanks for your help Osprey - I just tried that and no joy - as soon as I press the start button, lights 1,3, & 4 are lit but no light 2.  Is it possible that both modules would go at the same time?  Is it worth buying some new ones and trying that?

December 27th, 2015 23:00

Optiplex 745 problem

green light continuous on...6 times beep.... not booting.....

all diagnostic run... but no success... 

please support....

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 28th, 2015 10:00

No support for Bad Ram.

3 Posts

December 29th, 2015 00:00

The problem with mine was the graphic card. When I removed it and just used the on board graphics, it was fine ad is still running all these years later.

December 29th, 2015 00:00

I have chcked RAM in another computer. RAM fine. HD. DVD. POWERSUPPLY.. all chk separately. all is fine.... vendor also ...not understanding ....  

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 29th, 2015 07:00

checking high density ram on another computer does not auto magically make it compatible to the 745.  You require PC 5300  NON ECC Low density Non buffered Non Registered Ram.

No Events found!