Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 23rd, 2013 01:00

Optiplex 755 Mini Tower - strange power cycle problem after installing Radeon HD 5670 graphics card...

Hi all,

After getting annoyed with the 755''s integrated graphics, I purchased a Dell-branded (Pegatron, I believe) Radeon HD 5670 card.   However, when starting up the PC it went through a weird power cycle routine 3 times before finally coming on.  Once started, the drivers installed fine and performance is much better, but every time I shut down and then switch on the PC I get the same problem, as shown in the video: 

As you can see, the fans power on, the diagnostic lights start to come on but then get stuck and the PC powers itself off, the restarts a few seconds later.  At no time do any lights glow orange/amber.  Sometimes the fan comes on at full power, then it switches itself off.

I checked the motherboard for any bulging/leaking caps and found none.  So I thought it must be the PSU (even though the HD 5670 is only rated at 61W), so I swapped it out for my 600W Corsair gaming PSU - nope, still the same problem - so it definitely isn't the PSU.

I tried installing the graphics card in another PC I have, and it worked perfectly - so it's not the card.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Gareth

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 29th, 2013 13:00

I have used 5450, 6450, 6570, 6670, and 7750 without issue in the 755 tower.

Sounds like a defective card.  in all cases you must take care that the card is not much longer than 8 inches and that the card is 1 slot wide.  There are 2 slot versions of the 7750 that wont shoehorn into the socket.

SAPPHIRE 100357LP Radeon HD 7750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI  x16

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202002

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

Chipset Manufacturer: AMD

Core Clock: 800MHz

Stream Processors: 512 Stream Processors

Effective Memory Clock: 1125MHz (4.5Gbps)

Model #: 100357LP

Item #: N82E16814202002

19 Posts

January 25th, 2013 08:00

anyone - any ideas?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 28th, 2013 11:00

Test with just the onboard video. Take the 5670 out.  If its booting UPDATE BIOS to A22 first.

BIOS - BIOS

Description Importance Version Released Supported OS Download
Dell OptiPlex 755 System BIOS A22
Recommended A22 1/4/2013 BIOS

The sequence in the video shows full post as the lights cycle then go off.

The 5670 does not use AUX power so that is not the issue. 

Dell AMD Radeon HD 5670 part number is HWHRN

A 5770 DOES.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

January 28th, 2013 11:00

mcquigar,

1,3,4 = Indicates system activity preceding video initialization

So the system is not recognizing the video card. Does the video card have internal rear power supply connectors that connect to the power supply leads?

19 Posts

January 28th, 2013 12:00

Hi and thank you both for your answers.

No, the video card has no power connectors.  

The bios is already A22.  The integrated video works fine, as does the Radeon HD 5450 I have tested in it.

So the machine works fine, just not with that card. And the card works fine (in two other PC's I've tested it in).

Weird. I'd like to find a solution, as neither the 5450 or the integrated graphics cut the mustard.

19 Posts

January 28th, 2013 12:00

also, if it isn't recognising the video card, why does it always work fine on the third power cycle?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 29th, 2013 12:00

There is a PCI enumeration setting in cmos.  Some cards need this enabled and some cards need this DISABLED.    System Setup

You should also try clearing the NVRAM/CMOS using the jumpers on the motherboard.

support.dell.com/.../advfeat.htm

You may also have an issue where you have to bend the card bracket slightly at the bottom so that the card goes ALL THE WAY Into the slot and locks in the back. If you yank the card without pressing the release it will BREAK the X16 slot.

Maintenance

Service Tag

Displays the service tag for your computer.

SERR Message

(On default)

Some graphics cards require that the SERR message be disabled.

Load Defaults

Restores system setup options to their factory defaults.

Event Log

Allows you to view the Event Log. Entries are marked R for Read and U for Unread. Mark All Entries Read puts an R to the left of all the entries. Clear Log clears the Event Log.

POST Behavior

Fastboot

(On default)

When enabled, this feature reduces computer startup time by bypassing some compatibility steps. Off does not skip any steps during computer startup. On starts the computer more quickly.

Numlock Key

(On default)

Determines the functionality of the numeric keys on the right side of your keyboard. Off commands the right keypad keys to function as arrows. On commands the right keypad keys to function as numbers.

POST Hotkeys

(Setup & Boot Menu default)

Determines whether the sign-on screen displays a message stating the keystroke sequence that is required to enter the Setup program or the Quickboot feature. Setup & Boot Menu displays both messages
(F2=Setup and F12=Boot Menu). Setup displays the setup message only (F2=Setup). Boot Menu displays the Quickboot message only (F12=Boot Menu). None displays no message.

MEBx Hotkey

Specifies whether the sign on screen displays a message stating the keystroke sequence required to enter the MEBx setup program. Default is on.

Keyboard Errors

(Report default)

When set to Report (enabled) and an error is detected during POST, the BIOS will display the error message and prompt you to press to continue or press to enter system setup.

When set to Do Not Report (disabled) and an error is detected during POST, the BIOS will display the error message and continue booting the computer.

19 Posts

January 29th, 2013 12:00

Tried turning off the SERR message. And tried clearing the CMOS several times.

I also tried the card in my other optiplex (755 desktop) and it displayed exactly the same behaviour - 2 power cycles and then worked fine on the third try.

Strange!  Gonna see if I can get hold of a 6670 to try.

19 Posts

February 2nd, 2013 11:00

Well, I have replaced the card with a Radeon HD 6670 and all is working as it should now.  

Thanks for all the assistance.  Looks like it was adefective card after all.

Thanks again,

Gareth

No Events found!