April 30th, 2010 13:00

Optiplex 755 wont standby,hibernate or sleep

Updated BIOS to A17 (from A14 I think)

In Windows, when I choose SLEEP or HIBERNATE

----usb drive shuts down

---screen shuts down

---keyboard and mouse are active

---case power light green not amber

---HDD activity light is flickering (not in a pattern but more like something is working in background)

---hitting key on keyboard wakes up monitor and usb drives

As I seen on DELL COMMUNITY forums - some suggested to go to the WIndows section

Based on that, I installed Ubuntu Linux and Oracle Enterprise Linux (actually RHEL)

Putting this to sleep

----usb drive shuts down

---screen shuts down

---keyboard and mouse shutdown

---case power light green not amber

---HDD activity light stops

---I can hear fans on the inside running

--hitting keyboard dos not wake it

--moving mouse does not wake it

--pressing power button does not wake it

--holding power button in for 5-7 seconds powers off machine

I read that someone from support told someone that it was the memory chips (silly), so I opened up unit and checked/pressed in all chips and cards

---no change

I went into the bios and change all combinations of POWER MANAGEMENT (s1 - s3) and even enabled/disabled/adjusted the p-mex option (currently disabled)

---no change

I am a big Dell supporter but can get this to sleep

2 x Inspirons 530 - can sleep/hibernate

1 x Optiplex GX 620 - can sleep/himbernate

1 x Optiplex GX 240 - can Sleep/hibernate

1 x Dimension 9200 - can sleep/hibernate

1 x Optiplex 755 - cannot sleep/hibernate

Am I missing something?

September 13th, 2010 21:00

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 Well, upon reviewing your initial post, it seems my problem was actually different. Maybe the solution will be similar...

My issue was after entering sleep mode, the computer would start to wake but the screen would not turn back on. After troubleshooting turning off every option and re-enabling one at a time, it turns out it was a BIOS setting after all. Under the Performance section (A17), Trusted Execution was set to ON, but in another section below the TPM was turned OFF. This is not a valid config, so turning Trusted Execution to OFF fixed the problem.

Every other possible scenario worked just fine, btw.  Machine is running beautifully now.

Since this one is not using virtualization I am now setting all of the related BIOS settings to OFF just in case.   Hope this helps someone...

3 Posts

May 4th, 2010 02:00

bump

September 11th, 2010 09:00

I'm having the same issue - Windows 7 x64 on Optiplex 755.  I initially had bad RAM chips, which caused other issues, but they have been replaced.  System runs fine other that sleep mode doesn't work .  I will try disabling hybrid sleep as well as USB selective suspend (in windows advanced power options) and report back  findings if I am successful.

3 Posts

September 11th, 2010 10:00

Well I hadnt entertained messing with this for a long while

But for some reason - my hibernating and sleep are working in Windows 7 x64

Maybe it was some patch it downloaded and applied?

I did turn off hibernation...to reclaim the space

powercfg -h off

Then today I turned it back on

powercfg -h on

*Maybe that did it?

1 Message

March 9th, 2011 13:00

I have the same problem with an Optiplex 755 SFF, win 7 x64, core 2 3.0 that atari800 described; I will try the suggested settings and post if they worked. Thanks for the posts.

3 Posts

June 7th, 2011 08:00

Hi there to all using Vista/Win 7 (don't know about other windows or linux versions)

The fix I found that worked on my SFF 755 was in Device manager under network adapters

Go to Properties

Power Managment

Deselect allow this device to wake computer

Now sleep state should work

33 Posts

March 19th, 2014 07:00

Hi, I know this is an old post but I'm having the same problem. In my case I managed to make it sleep but not Hbiernation. Did you find any solution? I'm using Windows 7 32bits. I will try with W764. All Bios Configuration and Network properties changes didn't work. Greetings

33 Posts

March 20th, 2014 06:00

Update: Installing W7 64 bits solved the issue.

3 Posts

March 22nd, 2014 00:00

You do not want hybernation it is evil stay away from it.  (Look up how to tun off hibernation) S3 sleep state is much better if it does that be grateful my friend !!!!  remember this is OLD hardware not really made for WIN7

33 Posts

March 25th, 2014 09:00

Thanks for your answer!. At this time both methods are working for me, Hybernation and S3 Sleep. Why do you say that Hbernation is the devil? Saludos

3 Posts

March 25th, 2014 15:00

The reason I say that is the nature of the way hibernation works in apposed the S3 eventually hibernation will corrupt your data.  Both can be a problem if you use them for too long you should always do a fresh boot every week.

33 Posts

March 26th, 2014 08:00

More Testing: S3 Mode is working. Doing that the Cooler stops and seems to save more power as it says in BIOS description BUT hybernation is disabled under Windows 7.

1 Message

February 20th, 2015 09:00

Thanks a lot  dondersconsulting, after more than four years youi reply helped a lot!!

I registered myself on the forum just to say: thank you

Luca

No Events found!