Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 19th, 2012 15:00

Optiplex 760 Bios error with any pci-e card installed

I keep getting this error if I put any pci-e card in the pci-e x16 slot:

Action required

This computer has both a display port monitor attached and a card installed in PCI-Express slot 1.  This configuration is not supported

I have nothing plugged into the displayport slot, obviously.

The only way to even see this is to have a vga monitor plugged into the built-in vga port.

Either video setting in the bios, "auto" or the "onboard" setting produce the same error.

An nvs420, an ati 3650, an nvidia 8600 GT (all cards which work fine on a opti 755 and 745) produce this same error on this 760.

The bios is at rev A13.

What do I need to do, please, to run my nvs420 so I can run my 4 screens as all the other optiplexes do without error?

Thanks,

Joe

2 Posts

February 2nd, 2015 19:00

*this*, what Joe said.

The Optiplex 760s are showing up on the used/refurb market, and many of them never went through warranty to have the video defect repaired/replaced.  I have one of those.  BIOS is at final version A16, and it does not support any modern x16 video card.  I tried an ATI 5450, 7650, and GeForce GTX 750 Ti.  All of them give the error:

"This computer has both a display port monitor attached and a card installed in PCI-Express slot 1.  This configuration is not supported.  Please remove the PCI-Express card or disconnect the display port monitor."

This happens with nothing displayport attached, nothing attached to the integrated ports, and only one external port in use (DVI or VGI native), does not matter.  I've tried every port except the HDMI port on the add-in card.  Searching the web, this is just what happens on the 760. 780, and 980 systems.

The Optiplex 755 does not have this problem in any of the 4 of those I have.

Likely, it has something to do with the external card presenting more than one display interface, but it's really hard to tell.

1 Rookie

• 

11 Posts

November 20th, 2012 14:00

any ideas ?

8 Posts

November 21st, 2012 14:00

I am having the same problem on a optiplex 780.

1 Rookie

• 

11 Posts

November 21st, 2012 14:00

yea I think there is a glitch in the bios or something, hopefully someone on here will have an answer for us, I cannot put any pci-e card in and have the machine boot.  it hangs at boot.  when I see it hang if I plug something into the vga port I see the bios error.  If I remove any pci-e card (and I have several which all work fine on a 745 and 755 whether the bios is on auto or not) the machine will not boot, period.  This has to be some kind of bug.

1 Rookie

• 

11 Posts

November 21st, 2012 18:00

I think that's exactly what it is.  It makes the machine worthless unless you want to use a single vga monitor on it's built in vga port which is NOT what I want to be able to do.  I also see that nobody from Dell has responded yet so maybe they will eventually and we can have some path to take.  

8 Posts

Yes I think it is a bios problem as well. I really hope it isn't the mobo.

8 Posts

With all the posts of people having the same problem, it would be nice if dell would respond. I am trying to use dual monitors which are dvi so the VGA is worthless for me as well.  I am using the computer for work and this is really setting me back.

8 Posts

November 22nd, 2012 14:00

Joe b: I have been doing some ready about my 780 problem. I have a display port and according to dells site the port will support 3 monitors up to 1080p.  So I have ordered a display port to dvi dongle off of eBay for 7 bucks.  In the description it shows compatibility for the optiplex 760 and 780.  I already have a dvi splitter that I will use to connect both monitors. I will let you know in about a week if this works.  Here is the link to the display port adapter I purchased on eBay, seller has one more left.  The dvi to y dvi splitters (or dvi to y vGA) are cheap as well on eBay. Maybe this may be an option for us?

Look at this on eBay:

DELL DisplayPort to DVI-D Adapter Cable 23NVR #w#

http://bit.ly/SYLpPe

8 Posts

December 7th, 2012 11:00

Joe B:  Update on my problem.  I contacted Dell support and they determined it was a bad mobo.  They came and replaced the board and everything is working so far.  I will post again if the problem re-occurs.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 7th, 2012 13:00

The DVI Adapter is Display Port to DVI.  Should work without issues.

1 Rookie

• 

11 Posts

December 7th, 2012 15:00

The problem is if any card is put into the 760's pci-e slow the system will not boot.  If you then plug a monitor into the vga port you get the error about an invalid configuration.  All pci-e cards I tried will NOT work, period.  They work fine on a 745 and a 755.  This has to be a motherboard problem.  Is there a known problem and what do I do about it please.  The machine is worthless as I cannot use the pci-e slot for a video card.  It does not matter which setting the BIOS is in concerning the video card either.

1 Rookie

• 

11 Posts

July 29th, 2013 13:00

I never did. I decided to revert to optiplex 755's which have no issues, support the same cpu's as the 760 does and the same type memory (DDR2).  Only reason I could see anyone thinking there is an advantage to the 760 over the 755 is if they plan to use on-board graphics, which of course I'm not interested in doing. I bought a new board and it had the same issues. I'm done with 760's, Dell can keep them !!  If you find a solution, please share it, thanks!

I'll give that a try; although, the same card that worked previously wouldn't work either.

I have the exact same issue with an Optiplex 780.  Went to swap out an old PCI-e card that had been running fine for years with a newer card and now I have the problem mentioned in the OP with every card i've tried, even the one that had been in the machine and working fine previously.  Tried clearing the CMOS.  Nothing.  Did anyone find a solution to this that did not involve replacing the mobo?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

Look in the Bios under Maintenance for PCI SERR message and disable it.

Maintenance

Service Tag Displays the service tag for your computer.

SERR Message (On default)
Some graphics cards require that the SERR message be disabled.

No Events found!