Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

August 20th, 2016 17:00

Optiplex 790 Desktop Info Needed

Looking for info on connectors. I have the 790 I upgraded and moved to another case and would like to know ...what sata connector is the sata III on the motherboard. Blue...white...or the black. 

Upgrades are:

i5-2400s

16g G'Skill memory

240g Mushkin SSD (Want it on the sata III connector)

2 storage drives

MSI GTX960 video card

650w Corsair power supply.

I like my Dell system but they need to add a little more info on the spec sheets.

Chuck D

Thanks in advance. Go Dell !!!!

August 20th, 2016 17:00

Blue is sata   0

Black is sata 1

White is sata 2

What color would be the sata III

The other 2 connectors would be the sata II connectors.

I have the ssd connected to the sata 0 (Blue) yet a test shows speed to be bellow the sata III speed performance. The bench mark says to connect it to a sata III connection to get better performance.

Chuck D

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 21st, 2016 15:00

SATA VERSION 3  is based on the chipset.  Has nothing to do with the connector color. One or none  of the ports are SATA III speed. INTEL Q65 Express Chipset.

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/optiplex-790-tech-guide.pdf

4 port0

5 port 1

6 port 2

7 port 3

August 21st, 2016 19:00

downloads.dell.com/.../optiplex-790_owner's manual2_en-us.pdf

Page 90

I researched the Optiplex 790 desktop model before I purchased and it was advertised to have 1 sata III and 2 sata II connectors on the mother board. Short of shutting down and removing the video card to test each port with every other drive unplugged as advertised I should have 1 port at sata III and the other 2 at sata III. I will have to remove the video card each time due to the length of the card covering the ports. I will try this later and return my findings here. I fold for OCN 24/7 and hate to shut things down but I will research it to find out. I never loaded the intel graphics driver and disabled it in bios and was thinking it may have something to do with it also.

August 26th, 2016 03:00

Update. Intel rapid storage shows sata-0 blue to be the sata III 1.5/ 3.0/ 6.0 connector. The black sata-1 and white sata-2 are the sata II 1.5 / 3.0 connectors. I unplugged the drives and tested each port with the Mushkin SSD and got my results. I still have an issue of my SSD reading slow with 2 hard drives plugged into the black and white sata II 1.5 / 3.0 connectors. I get 195mbs read on the SSD and it should be around 300mbs minimum connected to the sata-0 sata III 1.5 / 3.0 / 6.0 connector. I have disabled write cache to the other  drives and only have it enabled on the SSD. Ohhh well I will research some more to find the issue. I am just trying to tweak it to get the maximum performance as is. Windows 10 Pro 64 runs like a champ on it so thumbs up for that.

October 22nd, 2016 14:00

Update. The answer to my problem was .. there is no problem. The first port runs at speed sata III 6.0. The Mushkin SSD uses compression read and write and I had to use ATTO and AS SSD to test using compression test to get the right results. All is good and up to speed.

Chuck D

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 22nd, 2016 17:00

There is no info and never will be.

Dell does not post this information.

October 23rd, 2016 14:00

My question was what connector was the SATA III 6.0 on my motherboard. After research and testing it was the SATA 0 while the other two connectors are SATA II 3.0. I thought my SATA III 6.0 was not working proper for my  Mushkin SSD but it is functioning properly. I know Dell would not have info on the SSD but they have info as to the connectors on the motherboard.

As it should be:

SATA-0  SATAIII 6.0 MT/DT/SFF/USFF

SATA-1 SATAII 3.0 MT/DT/SFF/USFF

SATA-2 SATAII 3.0 MT/DT/SFF

SATA-3 SATAII 3.0 MT

MT       (Micro Tower)

DT       (Desk Top)

SFF     (Short Form Factor)

USFF (Ultra Small Form Factor)

All is good and running up to speed. Thanks for help and "Go Dell!"  

Chuck D

No Events found!