Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

March 13th, 2012 13:00

Optiplex 790 Desktop - Second NIC missing after reboot

I have a Dell Optiplex 790 (Desktop Form Factor) running Windows 2008 Server R2 and  have added a second NIC (PCI-E) which is a Broadcom NetXtreme 5721. 

The second NIC installs correctly when I first install it (after the O/S is fully installed and patched), but it "disappears" after the first reboot.  It doesn't show up in Device Manager and there are no traces of it in the Event Logs

I've gone as far as re-installing the OS and the problem repeats itself.  The NIC appears to be okay hardware wise as I can get it working in Windows XP on another desktop.

Does anyone know if this machine is compatible with Windows 2008 Server R2?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 18th, 2012 21:00

The supported operating systems are XP, Vista, and 7. I take it you did not have one of those loaded to see if the second NIC disappearing issue is present?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

March 18th, 2012 22:00

13 Posts

March 19th, 2012 08:00

No, I'm running Windows 2008 Server R2 on it for testing.  One thing that I noticed is that if I do a SHUTDOWN and POWER UP, the second NIC is there.  It's only on a RESTART that the second NIC goes missing.  Obviously, this would not be good for production.  But for testing purposes, I can deal with it and just remember not to allow any restarts.  

But if anyone has any ideas about why this happens, I'd love to know.  Thanks

No Events found!