shattuck
1 Copper

RE: Optiplex 9010 AIO Screen goes black and freezes on logout.

correction, we're now seeing the issue on model 3220's.

0 Kudos
jonflowers
1 Copper

We are having the same issue with 9020 AIO i7 units, tried much of the above with no success. C'mon Dell!!

0 Kudos
Stanleyj42
1 Nickel

John thank you for the post!!  Just yesterday Dell agreed to send us 5 9020's with I7s to test with. Sounds like that's going to be a busted plan.  I will let you know if for some reason we don't see any issues. 

0 Kudos
adam0012
1 Nickel

do any of you happen to be receiving application event error 1503 Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service at the time of logoff immediately prior to the crash?

0 Kudos
Stanleyj42
1 Nickel

Yes, I've noticed this error also.  I tried recreating the users profile to see if that would help but it didn't.  I dropped looking into this particular error because I've seen it on machines that didn't crash.

0 Kudos
adam0012
1 Nickel

We see it on both crashing and non-crashing AIO's but it is always the last event written to the log before the crash takes place. I've turned on verbose logon/logoff messages to try and track what's happening but it hasn't revealed anything.

You say you get this same result on an OEM imaged 9010? I've imaged a previously crashing machine and haven't been able to get it to crash since doing so....

0 Kudos
adam0012
1 Nickel

I should say I've loaded a 9010 from scratch using a win7 dvd, not imaged it. it has not exhibited the symptoms since I've done so.

0 Kudos
Stanleyj42
1 Nickel

After we started getting the calls about the machines using our custom image I took one straight out of the box in an effort to rule out the image and got it to crash after 5 log offs.

I booted the machine up, created a local account and then proceeded to log on and off. 

We can take any I3 9010 we have and get it to black screen.  It doesn't matter if its our image, OEM, or just a fresh copy of win7 pro.   

Were receiving calls daily from our users.  The only answer we have for them at the moment is they either need to lock, reboot or shutdown the machine everyday when they are done using it.  This seems to have slowed some of the calls. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
adam0012
1 Nickel

"straight out of the box" ... are you using Dell's CFI or imaging service? Although since you mention you've replicated the lockups with a fresh copy of Win7 I guess it doesn't matter. How many logon/logoffs did it take for you reproduce the issue after the fresh Win7 install? I've been able to reproduce it routinely on a machine getting the application event 1530 errors, but on the fresh install of Win7 machine, I've tried logon/logoff probably close to 100 times and can't reproduce the issue yet.

I've now looped in MS and they're having me do further troubleshooting in an effort to determine if it's something in our setup causing the issue on this particular system hardware. Will update with more info. 

0 Kudos
Stanleyj42
1 Nickel

By "straight out to the box" im meaning took the wrapper off and powered that baby on with what ever copy of windows/drivers dell put on the machine.  We have two methods we use to image machines.  A PE USB drive with a copy of Symantec Ghost and we just started using Microsofts SCCM to deploy images.  Both methods are using the same image.

On the fresh copy of windows it did take significantly longer 20 or so tries but it eventually happen.  I'll be interested to see what Microsoft comes up with.  Im currently loading up windows 8.1 on a 9010 just to see how it responds.  Will let you know who it turns out.  

0 Kudos