Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 20th, 2014 07:00

Optiplex 9010 Mic Jack Not Working (Realtek ALC269)

Optiplex 9010 / Win7 64-bit

I have a pair of Bose QC15’s that have the iPhone cable on them. If I plug it into a unified headset port on my Latitude 7440 or an iPhone the Mic works great. On the older Dell 780 and 960 I was able to buy a splitter that used the separate mic and headphone ports and it worked perfectly. Upon getting my desktop replaced with a 9010 the splitter no longer works. I also tested a 790 and it doesn’t work either. The older Dell’s look like they use an “Analog Devices ADI 198x” sound card, whereas the newer ones use a “Realtek ALC269” sound card.

I also discovered that there are two types of integrated TRRS plugs: OMTP and CTIA/AHJ, the only difference being the pins for the mic are reversed. My only guess is that the Realtek has switched the ring/sleeve order and thus my headset no longer works. I’m getting ready to break out a multimeter to verify as documentation on the Realtek’s is seriously lacking.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what might be the problem? I've updated the drivers, tried installing Realtek's reference drivers and nothing works. The jack detection works fine for both the front and the back, but neither port will pick up the mic input. I tried boosting the gain all the way up too with no luck.

Jeffe

7 Posts

September 8th, 2014 07:00

So I tried an old Creative desktop mic that I've had for years and it works. I also got ahold of the wiring schematic for the splitter and it shows the following for the mic:

Tip - Mic Left
Ring - Mic Right
Sleeve - Ground

I've checked most every site I can think of and that should be the correct pinout. I can't find any information on the Realtek side of things however to confirm or see what the difference may be. Help?

No Events found!