Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

HB

January 9th, 2017 16:00

Optiplex 9010 rear fan failure message

I've got an Optiplex 9010 (small form factor case) that shows a "Rear Fan Failure" message on boot. The  rear fan appears to be the CPU fan. I've replaced the fan and verified it is working, but I still get this message on boot.

The only other fan in this machine is at the bottom front, and it is also working. Note: some other models of the Optiplex series have an additional fan under the hard drive cage that can give this same message, but this small form factor case does not have this fan.)

So, I have to assume the this message is bogus, but I cannot find any way to disable whatever causes the BIOS to display the message. I have already updated the BIOS to the latest level (A25) and I still get the message. The machine is out of warranty so I don't want to pay for support.

Anyone have any idea how to keep this message from appearing?

Mahalo.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

January 17th, 2017 10:00

Haole Boy,

Good work on troubleshotting. If you have replaced with non Dell fan then you will receive the message. You can ignore it.

January 19th, 2017 10:00

Hi Ravi. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

The replacement fan assembly was purchased on eBay and was described as "a new, Genuine Dell product.". All visible part numbers / stickers matched what I took out of the machine.

But the message persists. Sometimes I get it, and sometimes I don't. Very strange.

Any further suggestions?

Harry Z

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

January 19th, 2017 16:00

Harry,

Please reply us with the serial number / part number of the rear fan assembly so that we can check if its compatible with your system.

No Events found!