Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 24th, 2017 14:00

Optiplex 9020 MT mobo to new case

Hi forum

i have 9020 MT i use this pc as a plex server.
I want to move the Mobo to a new pc case whit more space for hdds, since the original case only support 2 drives.

My question is the following what kind of Mobo is this Atx, Mini Atx, Itx, or is it a costum board that doesn't fit in a regulair case?

Kind regards
mastro-NL

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 26th, 2017 04:00

If you're handy with a sawzall or dremel, maybe -- you're going to be doing major sheet metal surgery to the case to fit the Dell board -- everything from cutting out the back to fit the Dell I/O panel, which is not standard, to drilling new holes for mounting screws.  No, the board is decided not ATX standard - nor is the back panel -- along with as mentioned, the wiring.

Many Optiplexes depend on the front panel connector as well -- it has a thermal sensor -- so you will need to cut the case for that to fit as well.

April 25th, 2017 02:00

Hi mastro-NL,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

We can help you with the questions you have in regards with your system if you can help us with the service tag of the computer, so that we can check the specification and help you appropriately regarding what kind of motherboard you have installed in the system.

Parnoshree C

Social Media Support

#IWork4Dell

Dell Support Videos 

Drivers and Downloads

5 Posts

April 25th, 2017 12:00

Hi Parnoshree C

thank you for the response.

the service tag is :

Kind regards

mastro-NL

9.3K Posts

April 25th, 2017 19:00

I'm not sure why Parnoshree asked for a service tag, as posting a service tag is against board policy (privacy reasons).

As for moving a Dell motherboard to a different case, typically you'd need to do a whole lot of customizing to fit a Dell board in a non-Dell case and you'll need to work on the front panel connector too.

The exception might be if you want to move the board from a small form factor Dell case to a mini tower Dell case (though that may not always work either).

Have you considered looking at external (USB or eSATA connected) disk towers? This is one example.

5 Posts

April 26th, 2017 02:00

Hi Dev Mgr

Thx for the response.

I am aware of the Mobo connector limitations.

I already have an other Powerseply installed with an 24 to 8 pin connector

Plus a raid card for more hdd connectors.

I don't care about the front panel USB connection because I am using it as a server only.

All hdd,s are gone be inside the case.

I just want to know if I will fit inside a regular ATX case?

Because I want to use a fractal design r4 case.

Kind regards

5 Posts

April 26th, 2017 09:00

Hi  ejn63

Thx for the response.

I am very handy whit sawzall :)

But i finally got the answer i was looking for, the Mobo does not fit a regular atx case.

This means i wil mod the orginal case to fit more drive's +  xtra fan for better cooling.

Kind regards

No Events found!