Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 10th, 2015 13:00

Optiplex 9020 fans "rev" while in sleep mode?

I have a Dell Optiplex 9020.  When the computer enters sleep mode after 15 minutes, you can hear the fans continuously rev.  They will speed up for about 3 seconds, slow down for a couple seconds, and then speed up again for a couple seconds.  This process repeats continuously until the computer is woken back up.

I don't have any issues otherwise... computer seems to wake up fine, and the fan never kicks up to that speed while the computer is actually in use. 

1 Message

July 15th, 2015 11:00

I just received a 9020 optiplex as well and have the exact same symptoms.  nothing seems to be wrong performance wise so far but the constant rev on/off when it goes to sleep is worrysome. 

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

July 15th, 2015 14:00

You can try this for starters:

1. Do a search in Windows for: msconfig
  2. Launch msconfig and click Services tab
  3. Check the box to Hide Microsoft services
  4. Look on remaining list for Dell DataVault
  5. Uncheck DataVault box, exit msconfig and reboot

If  that solves the fan  problem, it was caused by a software issue and that can be fixed...

2 Posts

August 11th, 2015 00:00

We have the exact same problem too, after 15 minutes the computer fan starts "breathing" as it turns itself on full rev and off again in 5 second cycles.

Will try upgrading the BIOS and drivers, but we do not have any Dell DataVault services to disable.

Any other tips?

br

Haakon

August 24th, 2015 12:00

I'm having the same issue, and it's driving other users in the office around it crazy. When the PC is unlocked, it operates normally. But after you lock the PC and the monitors go to sleep, every few seconds the fan will rev up and then go quiet again. The workstation in question is only 3 months old.

It has a scratch install of Windows 7 Enterprise and the latest BIOS from June 2015.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

August 24th, 2015 13:00

I pinged my Dell tech contacts...

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

September 5th, 2015 20:00

OK, here's the response:

If you don't already have it, update Bios to O9020A12.exe and then run the Intel Driver Update Utility. Install any recommended Intel updates. Reboot when done and test.

Post your results here...

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

September 9th, 2015 20:00

Anybody have anything to report after updating BIOS and Intel drivers?

2 Posts

September 9th, 2015 23:00

Hi!

I already had the latest BIOS but tried the Intel Update Utility, it reported no drivers to update so didn't do anything for me at least. Thanks for the tip though.

There are some applications/drivers on the supportpage/downloads which I could try, but they don't really seem applicable or necessary like the Intel Rapid Start driver. I'll post if anything seems to work.

br

haakon

September 10th, 2015 07:00

I am in the same situation. I ended up just setting the monitor to never sleep and the fan has stayed quiet.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

September 10th, 2015 13:00

I am in the same situation. I ended up just setting the monitor to never sleep and the fan has stayed quiet.

So is this the video card fan or the CPU fan that's revving? That makes a big difference in potential fixes.

My Dell tech contact has queried L3 tech support for any further recommendations.

EDIT: Anyone try updating the video card driver?

7 Posts

September 11th, 2015 08:00

I have updated video card drivers for both on board video and the add-on ATI card on my machines.  The machines are currently using the ATI Radeon addon cards.  But not sure exactly which ones.  I can verify that the add-on video card is the loudest when they rev up.  Kind of hard to tell if the case and cpu fans are spinning faster as they are always spinning and the video card fan is quite loud when they spin up. 

I have debated on pulling the add-on ATI card just to see what happens.  If that does solve the noise problem, it still won't give us the reason why these machines are acting like this in the first place.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

September 11th, 2015 12:00

I have updated video card drivers for both on board video and the add-on ATI card on my machines.

Where did you get those drivers? Dell Support or Intel and AMD/NVidia?

Suggest you go directly to the appropriate manufacturer's site and look for newer drivers for your video hardware and version of Windows.

I'll post when I hear anything from L3 support...

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

September 11th, 2015 16:00

Suggestion:

If any of these OptiPlex 9020's with the fan problem are owned by a company or institution that has a dedicated Technical Account Manager, you might want to ping your TAM so this issue gets pushed from more than one direction. :emotion-5:

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

September 27th, 2015 12:00

Update:

Assuming you have an AMD R7-250 video card, contact your Technical Account Manager, and have the TAM swap the AMD video card with the equivalent NVidia card.  And have the TAM pursue the AMD issue from their site too.

Otherwise, assuming you're under warranty, contact Dell Tech Support directly and ask them to swap the AMD video card for an NVidia card.

No Events found!