Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

March 8th, 2010 23:00

Optiplex 960 and missing caps lock warning sound.

I have a new Optiplex 960 with W7 Pro. I have set the computer to make a sound when I hit Caps Lock, but this only happens if the speakers are turned on.  On my old Sony VAIO the sound came from the computer and I did not have to have the speakers on.  I can not beleieve that with the Optiplex which essentially is a business machine the external speakers have to be turned on, so what has happened please? Can anyone help please?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 9th, 2010 03:00

Desktops, whether business or consumer normally do not have system sounds from the small "diagnostic" speaker on the motherboard.  System Sounds are routed to the sound chip and then to the speakers.   However, some business machines do have internal speakers as an option, and in those cases it should work.

You can't compare the two PC's. How old is the Sony? computer hardware has changed quite a bit in the last 5 or 6 years.  e.g. Serial and Parallel ports used to be standard on PC's now they are either not available or an optional at extra cost item.  Same way with a data/fax dialup modem - it used to be standard and now is an optional item.

17 Posts

March 9th, 2010 04:00

Thank you fireberd. My Sony is eight years old and I have just bought the Optiplex 960.  Is there any way that I can find out whether the Optiplex should have on board speakers because I am quite suprised that I have to have external speakers for this facility.  I am afraid I am not much of a techie.

Thanks for your help.

Judesman.

17 Posts

March 9th, 2010 05:00

Thank you fireberd. I have just been looking at the Optiplex Customize section and now see that I probably missed this.  I will look into getting a speaker. Your other comments are noted.  Thanks for all your input.

Judesman.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 9th, 2010 05:00

According to the Dell documentation an internal speaker is an available, at extra cost, option.  As you assumed it was standard it was overlooked when you ordered the unit.  You should be able to get one at Dell parts.  HERE is the link to parts.

By the way, there are three different Optiplex 960 models.  You should note your model type when posting as that can make a difference on problem posts.  It's not an issue on this post as the speaker is an option in all 3 models.

No Events found!