Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 18th, 2016 23:00

Optiplex 990 UEFI Boot "problem"

I have a Optiplex 990 SFF. Recently updated BIOS to A15 and I wanted to install Windows 8.1 x64 with the UEFI BIOS (Supposedly it boots very fast like that). 

Anyhow, I partitioned all drives as GPT, yada yada and it was all set up and running Windows 8.1 on UEFI with all drivers installed.

The thing I noticed was that Booting Windows 7 on legacy BIOS was so much faster. I have an SSD too but I am not sure why it is doing this. If I am not mistaken, UEFI boot means it will boot with the Dell logo showing and the spinning circle right? It doesn't show that, it shows a dell progress bar then boots into windows with the windows spinning circles. 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 19th, 2016 05:00

The 990 doesn't have UEFI Secure Boot.

It has Class 1 CSM Bios.

This is not and will never be a feature of the 990.

GPT partitions are standard now.

MBR Partitions / FAT32 are not allowed in windows 7 and up.

They Must be NTFS and they have a MSR.  You don't see the first 2 parts in disk management.

Your hard drive partition style must be set up to support either UEFI mode or legacy BIOS-compatibility mode.  Since there is no UEFI in a 990 they are Legacy GPT partitions without secure boot.

February 20th, 2016 01:00

Thanks for your reply. 

That stinks, especially considering Dell explicitly states UEFI as an option in the BIOS options. They should at least wrote about CSM there.

1 Message

October 4th, 2016 10:00

I beg to differ. Curently installing a dual boot of windows 10 and chrominium on a optiplex 990 .

which can only be done in uefi the way i am doing it. ueif shows up in the bios as well as the boot menu .

No Events found!