Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 23rd, 2011 12:00

Optiplex 990 USFF ever going to support more than 8GB RAM?

Just wondering if anyone from Dell 'in the know' may know if the Optiplex 990 USFF may ever support more than 8GB of RAM?  I guess it goes for the 790 USFF as well... specifically interested in the 990, though.  Thanks!!

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

December 23rd, 2011 13:00

Just wondering if anyone from Dell 'in the know' may know if the Optiplex 990 USFF may ever support more than 8GB of RAM?  I guess it goes for the 790 USFF as well... specifically interested in the 990, though.  Thanks!!

The USFF has only 2 memory dims, and it can take 2 x 4GB of ram 8GB in total, and the chances it will ever support more RAM, I would say not.

Ultra Small Form Factor  two DIMM slots

Memory
Desktop, Mini-Tower, Small Form
Factor
16 GB
Ultra Small Form Factor 8 GB

Manual HERE.

18 Posts

December 23rd, 2011 15:00

Yes... I understand there are only 2 DIMM slots.  It would be nice to use two 8GB DIMMS as I am, but it's only recognizing as 8GB, which is fine.  Just wondering why Dell wouldn't allow for more?  Yeah, I know... ultra small form factor and all, but still a pretty powerful machine.  I can't think of any reason to limit RAM to 8GB in an i5 desktop (or laptop).  Argument that it's an utltra small doesn't seem to fly... there are plenty of micro ATX form factors out there that allow 16GB.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

They don't do 16 GB with 2 dimms.

18 Posts

So, it's just 8GB with 2 DIMMS and that's all we'll get, huh?

18 Posts

December 23rd, 2011 18:00

That's that answer, huh... they don't do 16GB with 2 DIMMs? Why? Why would it not make sense not to? The SFF does.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

December 23rd, 2011 21:00

According to the manual, the USFF is the only FF that has two DIMM slots (SFF, Desktop, Mini-Tower have four), so it makes sense that the SFF can do 16GB but the USFF is limited to 8GB.

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

18 Posts

December 24th, 2011 07:00

Thanks.  I read the PDF comparing the specs of all the 990 versions.  I saw that the USFF was the only version that doesn't support more than 8GB RAM.  I'm just asking why and if that may change (BIOS update), or if it's an actual hardware limitation in place.  I'm hoping someone that knows the answer will answer.  There are plenty of Mini ITX boards that support 16GB out there.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

December 24th, 2011 08:00

"the USFF was the only version that doesn't support more than 8GB RAM"

"I'm just asking why"

Why is easy.  All 990's currently support a max DIMM size of 4GB, meaning the USFF with 2 slots supports 8GB and the other FF's with 4 slots support 16GB.

"if that may change"

As far as I can tell from the Intel datasheet, the i7 supports 8GB DIMM's (the memory controller is on the processor) and supports a maximum of 32GB, so it is a matter of the BIOS "unlocking" support for larger DIMM's.  All 990's use the same BIOS, so until (if ever) the 990 BIOS (regardless of FF) supports 8GB DIMM's, the USFF will never support more than 8GB and the other FF's will never support more than 16GB.  If Dell decides it can and will add support for 8GB DIMM's then the USFF will be able to do 16GB (2x8GB) and the other FF's will be able to do 32GB (4x8GB). 

Sometimes not adding support is a marketing decision, but sometimes, because OEM products are an assembly of parts from various manufacturers, adding full support for various device features causes system instability.  As it is the OEM's job - and in their best interest - to build a stable system, they often will "restrict" features of some of the various devices used to build their systems.  This is not unusual and is not unique to Dell.  Later testing/development by Dell may provide a way they can add support for 8GB DIMM's while maintaining a stable system.

"I'm hoping someone that knows the answer will answer"

As the Dell forums are not an official channel of support with Dell, official queries should go through the proper channels (account reps, phone/chat support on a Service Tag, etc.) ... we are users helping users.  There are a few Dell employees on the boards, in mostly a moderator role.  They do occasionally answer support questions or get the ball rolling on customer service issues, but even so, they are support agents.  As a former support agent and analyst, I can tell you that these types of system updates are communicated to Support at the same time as the customers (when updates are posted to the Support pages).  You would need an engineer/designer or someone from the development team to tell you what the status - or potential future status - may be.  Those types of people do not frequent the forums and are not readily available to field questions from the public (or even support agents for that matter).  Unfortunately, it is a wait-and-see game.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 25th, 2011 11:00

I have emailed the engineering team. When I get a response, I will post it.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 26th, 2011 18:00

Intel retail Core i7 Desktop boards with 2 dimm slots are limited to 8 gigs OR LESS of ram.

8 and 16 gig ddr3 modules are not common.

CT2KIT102472BB1339  are ecc and registered.

I am not aware of any vendors that carry 16 gig DDR3  un buffered Non Registered Non ECC  DDR3 Dimms aka 8 Gig Dimms that would make a 4 slot board go to 32 gigs instead of 16.

For Server Chipsets they make 16 GB and 8 Gig registered registered dual inline memory module (RDIMM) in DDR3 which are NOT EVER compatable

with consumer Desktop motherboards.

Intel

DH61BEB3 LGA 1155 H61 mATX Intel Motherboard

Chipset

North Bridge Intel H61

BIOS Intel® BIOS

CPU Supported

Socket Type LGA 1155

Intel CPU Support Core i7

Core i5

Core i3

Maximum Processor Wattage Supported 95W

Memory

Memory Type DDR3

Memory Speeds Supported DDR3-1333, DDR3-1066

Memory Slots 2 x 240pin DIMM

Max Memory Supported 8GB

Memory Channel Support Dual Channel

Storage Controllers

SATA 3Gb/s 4

SATA 6Gb/s 2

Video

Onboard Graphic Chipset None

Audio

Audio System Realtek ALC892

Audio Channels 8-Channel

Networking

LAN Chipset Intel 82579V

LAN Speed 10/100/1000Mbps

Expansion Slots

PCI Express 2.0 x16 1

PCI Express x1 2

PCI 1

Back Panel Ports

PS/2 1

Parallel 25-pin 1

VGA 15-pin 1

DVI 1

USB 2.0 2

USB 3.0 2

LAN RJ-45 1

Audio Ports 5

Digital Audio 1 x Optical

Internal I/O

USB 4 x USB 2.0 Headers (supports 8 additional USB ports)

Other I/O Front Audio Header

Front Panel Header

3 x Fan Connectors

Serial Port Header

TPM Module Connector

S/PDIF-In Header

Power

ATX Power Connector 24-pin

ATX12V / EPS 12V Connector 4-pin

Physical Specifications

Form Factor mATX

Dimensions (WxD) 9.6" x 7.8" (245mm x 198mm)

3 Apprentice

• 

944 Posts

January 13th, 2012 12:00

just FYI, an email was sent to a few folks here at Dell that would know, and they said: 16GB config in the USFF chassis is not currently supported and there is no plan to support it in the future.

No Events found!