Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

January 16th, 2005 20:00

Optiplex GX150 won't POST

A friend gave me his Optiplex GX150 because it wouldn’t POST. The power-switch flashes yellow but won’t turn the computer on or off. Whenever the power plug is inserted the fans start, the motherboard light glows and the motherboard and floppy drive make a rapid dull clicking sound at the rate of around 240/second. After the floppy drive is disconnected the clicking is still heard from the motherboard area but I can’t pinpoint the exact position.

There are no beeps or anything on the monitor.

Disconnecting the drives and removing RAM and cards makes no difference. After numerous power-on attempts things changed where there was no clicking but the fans would stop, although the motherboard light was still illuminated. After further attempts it booted and I installed an OS and flashed the latest BIOS. I used the computer for a few hours and it rebooted without problems. The next day it was back to the clicking again but after a lot of power plug pulling it booted. The next day it’s clicking again and won’t POST.

The processor doesn’t look burnt and the computer works well when it is working. I don’t have a spare motherboard, processor or power supply to test the components so is there anything else I can try?

Brian

• 

17K Posts

January 17th, 2005 16:00

lennoxhd,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Try putting in another harddrive. That sounds like what is clicking. The clicking noise is the little metal arm inside the harddrive trying to get itself back upon the disk in order to read the tracks and it is not making it back ontop. Sort of like a record player and a needle that reads the record. If it does not get ontop to read the record then it just keeps clicking off the sides.

37 Posts

January 17th, 2005 18:00

It's not the HD. It still clicks after the HD has been removed.

The rapid clicking comes from the MB and also from the floppy drive if that is connected.

Brian

63 Posts

January 19th, 2005 12:00

Isn't the clicking comming from the build-in speaker?

Have you already tried to reaset everyting that can be reseated? (CPU, RAM, powercables etc.)

37 Posts

January 19th, 2005 18:00

No, the speaker is at the front of the box, not where the soft dull rapid click is coming from. When the floppy drive is connected the clicking is much louder and is then mainly coming from the floppy drive. I've pulled everything out several times.

I suspect a faulty power supply but without a replacement I'm stumpted.

Brian

24 Posts

January 20th, 2005 15:00

From what you're describing I would guess the power supply is going bad as well.  The noise you're describing sounds a lot like what we used to get on our GX100's when their power supplies were on their way to failing.  Eventually the fan on the power supply would completely stop and the system would overheat.  If that is the case I think you are out of luck unless you can find a replacement somewhere online.

37 Posts

January 20th, 2005 18:00

Thanks mdrago. I'll try and find a power supply. I'm reluctant to buy one from Dell in case the MB is at fault.

Brian

37 Posts

January 21st, 2005 20:00

I think I have the answer.

http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=31105&seqNum=12

See the section "Figure 3.18 Back probing the power supply connectors."

My Power_Good wire voltage was .3 to 1.1 Volts when the MB was clicking and 5 Volts when the computer was actually working. I gather the clicking is the processor turning on and off.

I've ordered another Power Supply. The above web site was very helpful.

Brian

37 Posts

March 6th, 2005 19:00

Power Supply finally arrived (Dell was out of stock) and the problem has been fixed.

Brian
No Events found!