Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

January 2nd, 2009 08:00

Optiplex GX240, BIOS A05 - Does this support USB 2.o devices and PCI Card?

Optiplex GX240, BIOS A05

Bought a PIC card to upgrade USB to v2.0 and tried to get working last night.  Several problems leading to BIOS not supporting USB v2.0 devices.

Can anyone definitely answer whether USB v2.0 is not supported in BIOS A05 on this machine? Or point me to documentation on the subject.

Thanks.

799 Posts

January 2nd, 2009 09:00

Optiplex GX240, BIOS A05 Bought a PIC card to upgrade USB to v2.0 and tried to get working last night.  Several problems leading to BIOS not supporting USB v2.0 devices. Can anyone definitely answer whether USB v2.0 is not supported in BIOS A05 on this machine? Or point me to documentation on the subject.Thanks.

Hello jsutton, I did a google search and found this information on your system.

Technical Features
Integrated Input/Output Ports USB 2.0 x 4 • Serial Port x 1 • RJ45 Lan Port x 1 • PS/2 Mouse x 1 • PS/2 Keyboard x 1 • Parallel Port (ECP/EPP/SPP) x 1 • Floppy Port x 1

There can be several issues that result in the notification about the USB 1.1. This can be associated with devices that are connected that are USB 1.1 capable and not 2.0, as well as other issues.

I would download and install the latest chipset drivers for you system, as they control the USB buss on your system.

Hope this helps.

17 Posts

May 8th, 2014 14:00

I have the user guide and service manual for the GX240. It includes the desktop model and mini-tower. Both have 4 USB 1.1 ports built-in. On the mini-tower (the one I have) they are 2 in the front under the cover, and two in the back. There is no mention of USB 2.0 anywhere in the documentation I have.

I am looking to install a USB 2.0 PCI card also, but this is the first I heard about the PCI slot having to support any protocol. And I have looked for another version of the BIOS. I may have found one, but the site requires a paid membership to download any updates, even though it says there are updates available. From what I have been told, the USB 2.0 card supplies all that is required to communicate with the system, and all you have to do is find one compatible with your hardware. I still have not gotten an answer as to whether or not the BIOS supports USB 2.0 or not. I will find out when I purchase a card. If I find one that works, I'll come back and post here.

Wayne

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 8th, 2014 17:00

WayneCa

This is really old thread...

What version of Windows are you running?

I'd be very cautious about downloading a new version of BIOS from somewhere other than Dell's site. You have no idea who those people are or what they're actually installing on your system. And it might turn your motherboard into a useless brick.

According to the release notes issued with BIOS A05 for the OptiPlex GX240, this last available version includes:

"Updated ACPI sleep state mapping code to fix USB 2.0 devices not being 
  found after a resume."

So if A05 fixes a USB 2.0 problem after resuming from sleep state, it would seem odd that it doesn't support USB 2. 

Open Device Manager, and expand list under USB. If you see one entry that says "Enhanced Host Controller", you have USB 2 capabilities.

If you don't see the "Enhanced" entry, then you may either need an updated chipset driver which you can find on the Intel site or perhaps a newer version (or Service Pack) for Windows.

If you go for a PCI card, you have to find one that supports the right voltage, 3.3 or 5V, or get a Universal card that can fit into either a 3.3V or 5V slot. The notches on the slot can be used to determine whether it's 3.3 or 5V.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 9th, 2014 10:00

The GX240 does not have usb 2.0 ports but Does support Driverless NEC chipset based PCI cards for USB 2.0

http://www.iogear.com/product/GIC251U/

USB 2.0 requires Service packs for WIN2000 and XP

http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-5-Port-Hi-Speed-Card-GIC251U/dp/B0000BZ2WA

17 Posts

May 9th, 2014 15:00

Thanks for responding, ROHE. I decided it would be easier to let you see what My Dell has to tell me about this GX240 (Minit-Tower version).

Operating System
Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional (32-bit)
Service Pack Service Pack 3
Build Number 2600
DirectX Version 9.0c (4.09.00.0904)
Windows Directory c:\windows
System Directory c:\windows\system32
Maximum OS Memory 4.00 GB

Motherboard

Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
Product OptiPlex GX240
Chipset Intel i845
Southbridge Intel 82801BA (ICH2)
ePPID NOT_SET
BIOS
Vendor Dell Computer Corporation
Release Date 03/01/2002
BIOS Version String A03
ROM Size 512.00 kB
SMBIOS
Version

I noticed the A03. I downloaded the A05 update from the Dell site, but am trying to figure out how to install it. I also found and downloaded 2 chipset updates, and am having trouble understanding how I am supposed to install them.

I am trying to do this trial and error without the error... difficult task. Help would be appreciated.

Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2442

Interface PCI
Location PCI bus 0, device 31, function 2
Type USB UHCI Controller (USB 1.0)
Class 0Ch:03h:00h
PCI Identification
Vendor Name Intel Corporation
Vendor ID 8086h
Device ID 2442h
Revision 12h
Driver Provider Microsoft
Driver Version 5.1.2600.2180, 7-1-2001
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbuhci.sys
Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2444
Interface PCI
Location PCI bus 0, device 31, function 4
Type USB UHCI Controller (USB 1.0)
Class 0Ch:03h:00h
PCI Identification
Vendor Name Intel Corporation
Vendor ID 8086h
Device ID 2444h
Revision 12h
Driver Provider Microsoft
Driver Version 5.1.2600.2180, 7-1-2001
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbuhci.sys

Wayne

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 9th, 2014 17:00

If SpeedStep is right, nothing you do will add UBS 2 support to your system.

The latest chipset driver Dell is offering is here.

If the motherboard was made by Intel and it (or the Dell equivalent) is listed on this page, Intel's USB2.0.exe file is supposed to add USB 2 support to the listed motherboards with the 845 chipset.

I have no way to know if this file is suitable for your system. If you decide to try it, manually set a System Restore point first so if something goes wrong, you can quickly revert back.

As for BIOS A05, you will need to have an internal floppy drive in this system and a formatted, empty 3.5" floppy disk. Download Bgx24005.exe to your desktop. Double-click on that file and follow the instructions which will create a bootable floppy.

Then boot from the floppy diskette and launch the .exe on that disk. When it's done, remove the floppy and reboot normally.

NOTES:

Before flashing BIOS, disconnect ALL peripherals except mouse, monitor and keyboard before you start.  Don't run the update if there are thunderstorms or any chances power might blink or go off in your area while the update is running. There's always a (small) chance a BIOS update will fail and turn your motherboard into a useless brick so you need to consider that vs installing a USB 2 PCI card.

Always a good idea to backup personal files on external media before you do things like this.

Also keep in mind that Microsoft is no longer supporting XP, and there won't be any new security updates or patches for this OS, aside from the major security update for Internet Explorer that was released last week. So maybe it's time to consider a new PC which should have USB3 support, but only you can make that decision...

17 Posts

May 9th, 2014 18:00

If SpeedStep is right, nothing you do will add UBS 2 support to your system.

The latest chipset driver Dell is offering is here.

I have downloaded both chipset updates. I do not know which one does what, or whether I need to install one before the other or not, or in which order. Then there is the "interactive mode" which both seem to require for you to pass the necessary command options, and I have no idea what options I should use, or what the command line is going to look like when I have it typed in.

If the motherboard was made by Intel and it (or the Dell equivalent) is listed on this page, Intel's USB2.0.exe file is supposed to add USB 2 support to the listed motherboards with the 845 chipset.

I have no way to know if this file is suitable for your system. If you decide to try it, manually set a System Restore point first so if something goes wrong, you can quickly revert back.

As for BIOS A05, you will need to have an internal floppy drive in this system and a formatted, empty 3.5" floppy disk. Download Bgx24005.exe to your desktop. Double-click on that file and follow the instructions which will create a bootable floppy.

Then boot from the floppy diskette and launch the .exe on that disk. When it's done, remove the floppy and reboot normally.

I have an internal floppy (3.5" 1.44Meg). A disk is another thing altogether. I haven't seen a floppy disk in almost 15 years. The motherboard I need to look at, but I have not opened this computer since I got it. It's not new, and it's been opened before, I just have never opened it. I will be if getting a USB 2.0 card is all I need to do. I will update the BIOS when I can get a floppy to do it with. The chipset installers I need additional help with.

NOTES:

Before flashing BIOS, disconnect ALL peripherals except mouse, monitor and keyboard before you start.  Don't run the update if there are thunderstorms or any chances power might blink or go off in your area while the update is running. There's always a (small) chance a BIOS update will fail and turn your motherboard into a useless brick so you need to consider that vs installing a USB 2 PCI card.

This is the question I have been trying to answer. If I just get a PCI USB 2.0 card, will that be enough to give me USB 2.0 without having to flash the BIOS or update the chipsets? I believe I am getting a "yes" answer to that, but it is still unclear. Is there a caveat? Like, only certain cards will work or something?

Always a good idea to backup personal files on external media before you do things like this.

Also keep in mind that Microsoft is no longer supporting XP, and there won't be any new security updates or patches for this OS, aside from the major security update for Internet Explorer that was released last week. So maybe it's time to consider a new PC which should have USB3 support, but only you can make that decision...

I am aware that MS is no longer supporting XP. I would love to get a new computer and a new version OS, but I cannot afford one, and this old Dell is what I have to work with. It works plenty well as is for me, so I will continue to use it until my financial fortunes change.

Wayne

17 Posts

May 9th, 2014 19:00

The GX240 does not have usb 2.0 ports but Does support Driverless NEC chipset based PCI cards for USB 2.0

http://www.iogear.com/product/GIC251U/

USB 2.0 requires Service packs for WIN2000 and XP

Is this just an example, or is this the only card that will work in the Optiplex GX240 mini-tower?

I ask because I see different cards, some are less than $10. This one is $20, $17 at other sites. Is there any reason one of the <$10 cards won't work with this computer?

Wayne

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 10th, 2014 17:00

Chipset drivers typically will warn you if the one you're installing is older than the one already installed. Install only the chipset from the Dell support site, since that one has been 'approved' by Dell. 

In theory, if the USB 2 card is fully backward compatible, you shouldn't need to update the chipset driver or BIOS to use it, but I can't promise that. So at minimum, update the chipset driver.

If you don't want the card SpeedStep recommended, at least you have an idea of what specs you need in whatever card you do choose to get USB 2 on this system.

And if you update BIOS and chipset, and then install that USB2.0.exe file from Intel, it may warn you if it's not suitable for your system and give you a chance to cancel the installation. Even if it doesn't warn you, if you manually set a System Restore point (Start>Help&Support>Undo...>Set Restore Point ) before you attempt to install that file, you can undo any changes it makes. And if it does the job, you've saved the cost of a USB2 card.

Pleae be sure to back up your personal files on CDs, DVDs or an external hard drive before doing any of these updates, just to be safe.

No Events found!