Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 17th, 2014 14:00

Optiplex GX620 & Win7

I have an Optiplex GX620 that was given to me, that came with XP Pro, 2gb ram  & 40gb hard drive. I also have a Optplex 9010 I got a couple years ago with Win7. With 8gb ram it flys compatively speaking to the old 620GX. I upgraded the memory in it to 4gb,  but the rest of the machine is as we recieved it.

One day I was fighting with things I can or can't  do with Win7, and can't do in that box and was impressed, I could put win 7 32-bit, on then I  would have all Homenetwork to access things through.  I got a Dell 32-bit Reinstall disk & installed it. Everything installed & basicly works, as much as we have memory. MS started harrassing me that I have an illegal copy.  I did some checking before & learned about MS not liking it because this machine originally had XP, that they don't approve of that upgrade path. Some have told me I can install an OEM version of windows 7 or MS has suggested a version they want $200 for, some friends suggest MS may simlpy make this upgrade difficult so they get extra money or I will get discouraged

I have gone to Dell & thieir systems have no drivers for this box & they told me This op ststem is not supported on this machine. I thought I can change the processor, and put in more memory, to make it go faster, but then it hit me this model may be restricted at the Bios. What I am asking this group, What are my options with this box? Obiously I can put XP back, I am also thinking about putting linnux on? 

Is there any use upgrading the processor if it is restricted at the model level?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 17th, 2014 14:00

Some have told me I can install an OEM version of windows 7

Newegg still sells Windows 7; if you subscribe to their newsletter, you will get the occasional offer to purchase Pro for $120 and Home Premium for $80. In the meantime, you can download a fully functional copy, burn it to disc and use it for up to 30 days before activation is required.

I recommend the 64-bit version, which has stronger support for XP virtualization. (I'm not sure if the 32-bit version can do that at all.)

2 Intern

• 

128 Posts

February 17th, 2014 16:00

I do subscribe to NewEgg, but haven't it goes to a gmail account I don't have accss to because I have them all tied up on different browsers. 

I have been running Pro because of XP stuff on everything. I find that no matter what system I am dealling with with because I have many XP programs, I have to have that ability.

If I get a good version of win7 can we put more memory in this machine if we replace the processor?

2 Intern

• 

128 Posts

February 17th, 2014 16:00

This machine is 32 bit machine at the hardware level.  Can you put 64bit programs on 32 bit hardware?

Fully functional copy of win7. Get it as a trial from MS? then what do you do every time the trial expires? Reload it?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 17th, 2014 18:00

This machine is 32 bit machine at the hardware level.  Can you put 64bit programs on 32 bit hardware?

Hmm ... are you sure it is 32-bit? Most Intel CPUs were 64-bit-capable by the time the GX620 was marketed. If not, you can buy a used 64-bit CPU on eBay for a few dollars. FYI I bought a GX620 used on eBay and it was 64-bit; it is running Windows 8.0 64-bit.

Fully functional copy of win7. Get it as a trial from MS? then what do you do every time the trial expires? Reload it?

You can activate it with the product key from a Newegg copy.

2 Intern

• 

128 Posts

February 18th, 2014 07:00

The XP stuff that it came wit was 32 bit, so the hardware must have come that way. I fond out from Crucal.com  that it appears 64-bit should work anyway. So I am going get my hands on 64 bit version & try it. 

<http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Standard-DRAM-Memory-Knowledge/Why-doesn-t-Windows-recognize-all-of-my-memory/ta-p/39570> 

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 18th, 2014 09:00

When the GX620 was marketed, XP 32-bit was the dominant operating system and XP-x64 had just been released (and would never gain a prominent market share). However, this is no reflection on the capabilities of the hardware; many, many 64-bit PCs were sold configured with 32-bit operating systems. To illustrate, both my GX620 SFF and Dimension 3100 were originally configured with XP 32-bit, even though they were equipped with 64-bit CPUs.

2 Intern

• 

128 Posts

February 18th, 2014 16:00

I got space on my 1TB machine to download the MS trial program. I Could not get to the OEM link. I just I printed it. I will get back to you

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 18th, 2014 18:00

2 Intern

• 

128 Posts

February 19th, 2014 17:00

Thank you for those links. Before I go on I found my previous notes, & it thought took me to a file ID X15-65805. I found the link I copied it and pasted it into IE & the file I got came from the prcess. The file I got from that request is X15-65805. I suspect I got something messed up. When I tried installing this it came up with install errors 0XC00000e9 saying have a problem with USB Memory. I used old FDisk program to delete the windows partion on that computer. When I get the right downloaded file. It should load right up. I found the links you had & am in the middle of downloading from them

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 19th, 2014 18:00

I dusted off my GX620 today; it has a 3.6ghz P4 64-bit single core. I installed Windows 8 64-bit on it  last year when it was $40.

Let us know how things work out.

2 Intern

• 

128 Posts

February 20th, 2014 00:00

By 3:15 it asked for User & computer name My mom has Dimension E520 my brother got for her from Rent-a-Center that came with 135gb Hd, 1gb ram & 32-bit Vista. I put in 500gb Seagate and doubled the memory to 2 and it at least gave her enough Vista didn't puke on load. Since then a friend put on win7 Ultimate. I think it is still 32bit. She complains it's still useless. When I was over at her place, looked at it for a minute. The vista system used to crash periodically just because it is vista. I found Win7 Ultimate, The machine doesn't crash, just because it is running, but doing anything with it will cause it to lock up. I checked & MS says it can run with that small a memory. My daughter has an HP laptop with 2gb of ram & home premium and it runs slow but at least goes. My daughter's faster computer has 3gb in it & home premium. If I put 64bit on my mom's machine, will it give me trouble about the Copy? Can I use the same ID #?

2 Intern

• 

128 Posts

February 20th, 2014 00:00

A little after 2:00 am, I the download finished. That last junk thing I had was only 53,000 the one you pointed was 3,000,000. I burned it and threw it in the other computer. Within a few minutes it asked about time & location. Then it said "That's all we need for awhile!" so at the moment things are looking much better.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 20th, 2014 07:00

The E520 may have a hardware problem, like a failing power supply. I used Vista for some years, and it never crashed, although pre-SP1 versions had other issues.

You can put the 64-bit edition on the E520 and activate it with the same product key, provided that said product key (ID #) is not being used on any other PC.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 20th, 2014 09:00

1. There are no upgrades from XP to 7 or 8 only clean installs.

2. If you upgrade XP Pro to Vista Business and then apply SP1 and SP2 it WILL upgrade
 to windows 7 or 8

3. Regardless of the 32 or 64 bit OS there are no 32 to 64 or 64 to 32 upgrade paths in ANY verision of windows.

4.  Regardless of 32 or 64 bit OS the GX620 will ONLY be able to use 3.5 Gigs of ram.

5.  Almost all the hardware in the GX620 is native to WIN7 or WIN8 EXCEPT the Audio.  However you can get the audio drivers that are VISTA WDDM drivers from Microsoft.

In CMOS under security the NX Bit is called (Execute Disable Bit). 

This option DOES NOT SHOW For OLD versions of the bios and or

if the processor DOES NOT Support it. 

ALL VERSIONS of the Pentium D processor support this and therefore work with windows 8. BIOS A11 and Pentium D 9XX series is required for windows 8.1 64 bit.

Bios A11 should probably be done BEFORE trying it however.

The Soundmax driver comes from Microsoft Catalog.

Most of the hardware uses Native Windows 7 Drivers with the exception of the Audio Codec.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/solutions/en/winvista_faqs_rel?c=us&l=en&cs=prem#faq06

1. Dell will qualify Windows Vista for Basic Windows Vista functionality on the following OptiPlex legacy platforms: OptiPlex GX620, GX520, GX280, SX280, GX270, SX270, 210L and 170L
  2. Dell will qualify Windows Vista for Basic Windows Vista functionality on the following Latitude legacy platforms: D800, D600, D400, D410, D505, D810, D610, D510, X300
  3. Dell will qualify Windows Vista for Basic Windows Vista functionality on the following Dell Precision Workstation legacy platforms: Dell Precision Workstation 360, 470, 650, 370, 380, 670, M60, M70, M20

To run the premium versions of Windows Vista, including the Windows AeroTM  user interface, PC's should be configured with at least 1GB system RAM and 128 MB graphics memory.

To help further optimize the Windows Vista experience Dell recommends 2 GB dual-channel (2-DIMMs) system RAM, a Dual-Core processor, a 7200 rpm Hard Drive and at least a 256 MB discrete graphics card.

ASUS EAH6450 Silent/DI/1GD3(LP) Radeon HD 6450 1GB works in all models EXCEPT The USFF because the USFF has no expansion slots.

Asus EAH5450 SILENT/DI/1GD3(LP) Radeon 5450 Graphic Card - 650 MHz Co…

DirectX June 2010 is also Highly Recommended.

Download DirectX Redist (June 2010) from Official Microsoft ...

Download file, Extract to a folder,  RUN DXSETUP.EXE as Administrator.

Even if its AGP, it still might be supported under Windows 7 (Via Legacy Drivers),

what you need to meet are the minimum video requirements which 128 MBs of Video RAM along with being DirectX 9 compliant.

The Analog Devices AD198X codec does have WHQL drivers from the Microsoft Catalog.

Architecture: X86
Classification: Drivers
Supported products: Windows 7 , Windows 8
Supported languages: all
Company: Analog Devices
Driver Manufacturer: Analog Devices, Inc.
Driver Class: Sound
Driver Model: SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
Driver Provider: Analog Devices
Version: 5.12.1.7010
Version Date: 10/31/2006
Company: Analog Devices
Driver Manufacturer: Analog Devices, Inc.
Driver Class: Sound
Driver Model: SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
Driver Provider: Analog Devices
Version: 5.12.2.7010
Version Date: 10/19/2006

microsoft catalog Analog Devices 5.12.1.7010   32 BIT

catalog.update.microsoft.com/.../ScopedViewRedirect.aspx

microsoft catalog Analog Devices 5.12.2.7010   64 BIT

catalog.update.microsoft.com/.../ScopedViewRedirect.aspx

2 Intern

• 

128 Posts

February 20th, 2014 09:00

The E520 has spent most of it's time as a room block under her desk. She use to use it quite a bit when it was Vista and was always complaining about how slow it was. It would take a half hour waiting for it to start. With 1gb ram 135gb HD. When I put the 500gb hd she it has more space for her stuff, but also has more to keep track of so I think it is a bit slower. She has her teenage Granddaughter, who knows enough about reloading computers op-system When they get full of viruses. One time I went over there, they had the system disk in the computer & wiped it clean. I backed all her stuff up on my 1.5 TB HD, so when they do anything like that, I can put it somewhat back. If I put on 64bit I think I should take all system disks. I don't get over there often. She also has this girl's dad, living with her. He called me the other day to tell me it is blank. The last time I looked at it. The people who worked on it only watched it to see that it someone put in 32 bit Win 7 ultimate on it. I told her I thought it could need 2 more gb & it could work for her. By the way our computer we have been dealing with has up and stable, but with 2.99mhz CPU & 4Gb ram it still does not respond in the internet games we do real well. I have to research about the differences between these computers.
No Events found!