Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 8th, 2011 05:00

Optiplex gx 270 tower

I have tried to add a 500GB Sata hard drive to my tower,  The computer will not find it in the startup, and it seems like it is getting no power on startup.  I went into the BIOS to enable the SATA drives but the option is missing from my Integrated portion of the BIOS even though I am runing the most current version .  I don' t know what else to try, please advise if you have any thoughts.

4.4K Posts

October 8th, 2011 06:00

First, what model and number computer do you have?  The main hard drive is hard drive 0.  Does it show as enabled?  Are any other drives showing as available? And are you sure you are looking in the correct part of the bios setup program for enabling drives?  Did you replace your main hard drive or is this a secondary drive?  You answers will help the forum provide solutions.

6.4K Posts

October 8th, 2011 15:00

sjtoney;

If you have firmly connected the power and data cables to the new drive, and the BIOS setting for the second port is in Auto, I would begin to suspect a bad hard drive.  Please excuse me for asking an obvious question, but did you purchase a SATA data cable for your new drive?  We can't see what you are doing, and computer owners have widely varying degrees of experience; Dell does not typically provide a spare SATA data cable for computers that were ordered with only one drive.

EDIT:  Your Owner's Manual shows a section for System Setup that has a section for Drive Configuration.  Dell has been known to change things without reflecting the change in the manual, but I would look for such a section to see if the SATA configuration might be found there.  Link is here:  System Setup Options <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 8th, 2011 17:00

support.dell.com/.../index.htm

support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx270/en/index.htm

There is a POWER cable as well as a Data Cable

Stop 7b  will be a problem unless ATA mode is used for XP instead of AHCI

Check the cable connections —

1. Ensure that the DC power cables from the power supply are firmly connected to the connectors on each drive.
  2. Verify that the interface cable for each drive is firmly connected to the drive and to the system board.
  3. Ensure that the control panel cable is firmly connected to the system board.

If the primary hard drive that contains the operating system does not boot, files in the operating system might be corrupt. For more information, see your operating system documentation.

Mixed mode operation is not recommended.

Entering System Setup

1. Turn on or restart your computer.

2. When Press to Enter Setup appears in the upper-right corner of the screen, press immediately.

If you wait too long and the Microsoft® Windows® logo appears, continue to wait until you see the Windows desktop. Then shut down your computer through the Start menu and try again.

Drive Configuration
  • Diskette Drive A — Identifies the floppy drive attached to the DSKT connector on the system board. With the standard cabling configuration, Diskette Drive A (the boot floppy drive) is the 3.5-inch floppy drive installed in the top externally accessible drive bay. The two options are 3.5 Inch, 1.44 MB and Not Installed.

Tape drives are not reflected in the Diskette Drive A option. For example, if a single floppy drive and a tape drive are attached to the floppy drive interface cable, set Diskette Drive A to 3.5 Inch, 1.44 MB.

• SATA Primary Drive — Identifies the serial ATA hard drive attached to the SATA1 connector on the system board.
  • SATA Secondary Drive — Identifies the serial ATA hard drive attached to the SATA2 connector on the system board (not available on the small form-factor or small desktop computers).
  • Primary Drive 0 — Identifies the IDE hard drive attached to the IDE1 connector on the system board.
  • Primary Drive 1 — Identifies the IDE device attached to the IDE2 connector on the system board.
  • Secondary Drive 0 — Identifies the device that is cabled with the drive on the IDE1 data cable.
  • Secondary Drive 1 — Identifies the device that is cabled with the device on the IDE2 data cable.
  • IDE Drive UDMA — Sets the mode for all installed hard drives.

NOTE: You must have an IDE device connected to the primary IDE interface if you have an IDE device connected to the secondary IDE interface.

If You Have a Problem — See "Hard drive problems."

Hard-Disk Drive Sequence — If you insert an boot device and reboot, this option will appear in your system setup menu.

• System BIOS boot device
  • USB Device

NOTE: To boot from a USB memory device, select the USB device and move it to make it the first device in the list.

Boot Sequence — See "Boot Sequence<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>" for more information on this option.

Hard Drive

IDE

Serial ATA

hard-drive cable

power cable

2 Posts

October 8th, 2011 12:00

As I previously stated I have a optioned gx270 tower that I am trying to add a second hard drive to . It is a SATA drive
No Events found!