Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 30th, 2011 22:00

Optiplex960: any known issues powered from APC Back-UPS ES750?

Hi,

Recently put in service an APC Back UPS ES750 power supply ahead of my Optiplex 960. When a self test of the UPS is initiated via the PowerChute v3.0 software, or manually via depressing/holding the UPS power switch, the computer instantly depowers. It then powers up long enough to rev up the fan, and the amber numerical trouble lights on the top front of the computer flash. It then depowers until I manually repower the computer.

APC claimed their UPS was defective and quickly shipped a replacement. The replacement acts identical in all respects to the first UPS.

I am working with APC support on this issue, and I have no reason to suspect any issue with the Dell computer. But - to cover the bases - I thought I'd mention this item -- see if there are any known issues of the Optiplex 960 being grumpy about being powered by battery from this APC UPS model.

I last purchased an APC UPS some ten years ago. Those things just sit there and work. This new UPS seems much smarter than the older units of which I'm familiar... but, obviously, something "ain't right somewhere."

Thanks,

Bob Kirby

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 31st, 2011 04:00

There is an issue with SOME new models and UPS systems on the PC's that have the "Active PFC" type power supplies.  On these models, they can (but not always) require either a "True Sine Wave" UPS or one with a less than 4MS switching (to battery back up) .  

The PFC type power supplies are required by the E.U. so most manufacturers that sell the same model world wide have started using the PFC power supplies in models sold everywhere.  They are supposed to be more efficient (greener).  Most new replacement power supplies are also Active PFC type.

It sounds like this is the issue with your system/UPS and a different UPS will take care of the problem.  You may want to discuss this with APC.  The ES line is listed as "home computer" systems and suggests the low end models.  Not something you would want on a business workstation model.

I have an Active PFC power supply in my PC but I have an older Dell labeled APC UPS system that was designed for "business" systems and it works OK when switched to battery backup.

2 Posts

May 31st, 2011 21:00

Thank you very much for your informative reply.

Today I also learned very similar information from APC support, and was directed to this link which explains Power Factor Corrected power supplies. (I'm supplying this link to an APC readme for anyone else experiencing this same issue):

nam-en.apc.com/.../L3RpbWUvMTMwNjg1NTc5NC9zaWQveEVFdGFsdms%3D

Best!

Bob Kirby

No Events found!