Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 28th, 2016 02:00

Orange light on XPS 8500

I have a 2012 XPS 8500 and when I shut it down, after a couple of seconds of stopping, the power button turns to an orange light.  Sometimes when I go to restart the PC it is slow to respond or I have to press the button a couple of times.  The PC seems to run OK but a couple of times it did shut off suddenly.

I ran the diagnostics but every time it starts to go through the various tests the PC switches off immediately.  Please can someone tell me what the orange light is telling me and what I need to do.  The PC is no longer under warranty.

331 Posts

May 29th, 2016 15:00

Hi JonMJS,

Thank you for writing to the Dell Community Forum.

The steady amber indicates the system is in standby or system fault error condition, including the power supply. Power off the system and disconnect all the cables. Open the system cover, reseat the power cable to the system board and front panel cable are securely connected to the system board.

Kindly get back if there are any further queries.

4 Posts

September 20th, 2016 15:00

I have the same situation. Opened uo the PC, everyyhing seemed in order but then again,I don't have a clue what I was looking at. Put it back together, same thing.

4 Posts

September 20th, 2016 15:00

Then again my external harddrive quit working for system backups with the ungrade to Windows 10.

September 26th, 2016 06:00

Same here! Called support and they told me it's possible to repair. New motherboard, new power supply and new harddisk. Costs 600 euro!!! Warranty was 3 years, the computer was 3,5 years old.

So I can throw away my computer after 3,5 years.

They even advised me to buy another clone, because these computers are much more stable . So I will never buy a Dell again!!! Never never never never never never never never never never never a Dell!!!

No Events found!