Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 27th, 2008 08:00

Overclocking XPS 420

Hi,

I havent done this yet but is it safe to use software to overclock only .1-.2ghz on q6600 since we cant do anything in the bios even though its OUR not dell's computer anymore.  I'll be using clockgen by the way.

106 Posts

December 27th, 2008 11:00

LOL

1.4K Posts

Yes it would. Since you would be running the CPU at 1333 mhz instead of the original 1066 mhz, and the BIOS has the CPU/Ram ratio, the memory would be overclocked as well to 1066 mhz.

Your normal 667 mhz or 800 mhz simply would fail to run at the newly created memory speed.

Hope this is not too confusing, and helps.

How's that work ?

The 420 can be purchased with either a 1066 fsb chip or a 1333 fsb chip and still use the same 800 speed memory.

2nd attempt

799 Posts

The 420 can be purchased with either a 1066 fsb chip or a 1333 fsb chip and still use the same 800 speed memory.

Hello contrvlr, I haven't checked the ordering options recently but the BIOS only supports up to 800 mhz memory, so even if the CPU has a clock speed of 1333, the CPU/Ram ratio would run the memory at the 800 mhz speed.

Running a CPU at the rated stock settings and modifying it to run at another speed is totally different.

The CPU/Ram ratio would be changed by the BIOS, if the 1333 mhz CPU is found, I suspect.

To verify this, you could install a CPU with the 1333 mhz speed and try to run some 1333 memory and see of it would work.

I suspect it would not, but since I haven't tried it I cannot say for sure.

Hope this helps.

106 Posts

December 27th, 2008 12:00

I know what to do and what it does with the electrical tape (most often used) but I am worried about the repercussions beside voiding the warranty (dont care) and how the other guy was talking about the ram not being in ratio to the cpu.  Trust me I googled like crazy, used msn (which I hardly do) and yahoo (which is not even worth typing in the address bar, lol) and I couldnt find a 100% anwser for dell xps 420.  BSEL is risky but if it works, its fine with me.  The electrical tape is something that can be removed.  My questions is that lets say that the pc doesnt start up and I remove the tape, will everything go back to normal?  Also, is dell stock cooling adequate for this sort a "Hack Overclocking" at 3.0ghz which is really pushing it in my opinion?  Thanks.

14.4K Posts

If we were still on the old fourm it would be easy to find the posts. I now that there were 3 or 4 others who were running it. It was the thing back when the processor first came out. if you Google it you will be able to find more info on what it exactly does.  But it is next to impossible to find old posts now. 

14.4K Posts

I would not us the tape method myself but would rather go with the hard jumper way. Yes you run the risk of voiding your warranty IF Dell was to find out...

Like I said it does not affect the bus speed at all so there is no issue with the ram. I could do the mod on my rig which runs at 1066 tryin to oc the system manual I can only get a oc of 2.7 gigs before the system freezes which is a result of the bus. the pin mod would still leave the bus at 1066 but again trick the processsor into thinking it is higher. there are two ways to up the speed of a processor change the bus or change the multiplier. I believe the pin mod actually affect the multipler setting intenally in the chip

106 Posts

Btw, Davet50 is your bios unlocked?  Also, whats the hard jumper way?  Even if I were to overclock by pin mod would the cooling be adequate at 3.0ghz?  I just search dell community forums for those older threads but there are 36000 results.  

1.4K Posts

December 27th, 2008 13:00

If that was the case the pin mod would not work and in fact it does. It does not affect the external bus it trick the processor into thinking the bus is higher.

Thanx Dave

2nd attempt

799 Posts

December 27th, 2008 15:00

Hello contrvlr, It appears that we have missed the point here on the memory for the XPS 420. 

Or probably I may not have explained it as well as I should have.

let me try again. We first must remember that we are dealing with a Dell BIOS and Dell specified motherboard.

If it were not a Dell, then the CPU clock speed could be adjusted (overclocked) as wanted, within reason.

The memory speed would be allowed to be adjusted (timings and voltages) as needed, allowing for 1066 or 1333 memory speed.

But we are talking about a Dell specific motherboard and Dell coded BIOS.

We are talking about an entirely different system, that does not adjust or allow adjustments to the CPU or memory as a normal system would.

The Dell motherboard and/or BIOS is set to accept a CPU speed of 1333 and/or 1066 mhz, while the memory speed is locked to either 667 or 800, which ever you have installed.

The CPU/DRAM ratio is locked and not adjustable so the system BIOS can only read 800 and/or 667 mhz memory, regardless of whether you have a CPU with a 1333 or 1066 mhz speed installed.

The motherboard and/or BIOS can recogonize which CPU is installed and adjust the FSB accordingly, within the BIOS itself, but not by a manual setting, but the memory speed will still remain at 800 or 667, depending on the memory speed that is installed.

I hope I haven't mentioned anything that is not correct, because that is quite possible, but this is how I have been advised the Dell XPS 420 motherboard/BIOS handles the CPU and memory settings.

Again, it is totally unlike an ordinary motherboard with an ordinary Intel X38 chipset and BIOS.

Hope this helps.

14.4K Posts

799 Posts

Thanks Davet50, for the useful link. The photograph of the BIOS shows the CPU speed at 1333 mhz and the memory speed at 800 mhz.

This should prove that overclocking the CPU to speeds above the normally rated 1066 mhz does not increase the memory speed as was the original question.

You can go to Radio Shack and purchase some conductive tape and make the jumper.

You would also need some material like conductive paste to insure contact between the reflective tape and the CPU pins.

This has been done by quite a few with success, but the CPU temps will rise, so this must be taken into account.

Hope this helps.

1.4K Posts

December 27th, 2008 16:00

Again, it is totally unlike an ordinary motherboard with an ordinary Intel X38 chipset and BIOS.

Hi Hans,

I understand completely, you'll notice on the left that I have been here a little while. I have owned dozens of Dell's and been able to use the Clockgen software for overclocking a couple of them, never felt like messing with the pin mod due to the lack of control.

And if you look below, I do have some experience with overclocking non Dell boards.

Hope you don't mind the abbreviation

2nd attempt

106 Posts

I'll be using stock cooling but from what I've heard dell btx design and cooling is adequate, right?  The guy who came up with this mod says during the thread that :

"make sure your CPU can do the stock multiplier x 333 at stock voltage, otherwise this mod would be useless to you."

1.     Does q6600 supports it?

2.     Will I be able to "take off" the conductive material if needed to?  Btw, I know someone who is good with the computers so I'm gonna ask for his help to do all of this soldering or what not but I wanna gain as much information as I can before I do this.  Thanks.

3.     I was also reading in the forum that there is no performance increase so why go through the trouble.  What difference would this mod make in terms of performance?  Here is a link:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2duo-e6850_4.html#sect0 ?  :emotion-5:

Please answer my last 3 questions as you did before so that I can make up my mind.  Thanks.  :)

14.4K Posts

1. 60 is a bit high under load for a Q6600 but not so much a 3.0 a good heatsink will take care of that

2. Artic silver thermal paste is the way to go See HERE and HERE

3. Again this tricks the processor so there is not increase in voltage

4. I think that the link mentioned the material. You can find it at most automotive stores, radio shack most likely or google conductive ink pens

106 Posts

December 27th, 2008 17:00

Gotcha.  So even when all the cores are running at 3.0ghz there is no difference?

No Events found!