Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 27th, 2008 08:00

Overclocking XPS 420

Hi,

I havent done this yet but is it safe to use software to overclock only .1-.2ghz on q6600 since we cant do anything in the bios even though its OUR not dell's computer anymore.  I'll be using clockgen by the way.

106 Posts

December 27th, 2008 17:00

Hey man,

I dont have words to express how much I appreciate your help.  Thats it.  I'm going to wait and see what happens next and I'm going to stay away from messing with the cpu:emotion-1:  Buddy, you are like a Earthly God to me lol.  Thanks so much once again.  Really appreciate your help.

14.4K Posts

1. Yes

2. Isoprophal alcohol or you can get clean from the same place you get the paste.

3. to me it is not worth it. That is why I never attempted it.

799 Posts

I understand completely, you'll notice on the left that I have been here a little while. I have owned dozens of Dell's and been able to use the Clockgen software for overclocking a couple of them, never felt like messing with the pin mod due to the lack of control.

Hello contrvlr, Didn't mean to make it seem that you were a novice. Sorry if it came out that way.

I did some overclocking in the day of the Celeron 300 and never saw a need for it since.

I have been a member at the DCF since 2002, but under another name since the new DCF was so messed up, they didn't get my old login available and could not, or would not correct it.

I had to create a new login name in order to post.

I also have been around coumpters for over 28 years and currently have close to 100 Dell systems that I maintain and keep running for 4 companies and family, friends, and others.

While I do know a lot about computers, I don't know that much, when compared to those that do.

I have built 40-50 systems and repaired thousands over the years, and never had but one I could not get to work as it should.

It is the Dell XPS 420 I am now using. It has a Raid issue that corrupts the OS. Dell want admit it, but it exist.

I installed an add-on 4 port Raid card and resolved the Raid issue.

But that is not the topic. I do appreciate your input as it is very helpful to me as well as others.

Thank You for sharing your knowledge.

No Events found!