Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 1st, 2009 19:00

PC powers up but will not boot up

I have a Dell XPS 400 (about 3-years old).  Today we were attempting to update our iTunes software.  After the update finished downloading, we were directed to restart the computer.  When the computer started up, we got the dreaded blue screen.  We had to shut the computer down by turning it off with the power switch.  Now, when we try to start the computer, everything appears to be powering up, but the screen remains black and the tower makes several buzzing sounds that sound similar to the emergency broadcast system on the TV (but at a lower frequency).

We tried several times to start it up, with the same results.  We also unplugged the tower and waited for several minutes - same results.

Any ideas?

52 Posts

January 1st, 2009 22:00

Hi,

Blue screen & no display on screen may be due to rusty RAM.Remove the RAM from the system and clean it and its slot then Reseat your RAM. Then try to switch on your PC. Sound coming from your PC should be beep.

January 2nd, 2009 06:00

Thank you so much!  Although the RAM appeared clean, I still wiped it down and reinstalled it.  The computer started up immediately!

I'm glad it was something simple....  We've been getting this "fan failure" message (at start up) for almost as long as we've owned the computer, so I was afraid that something finally failed..... Whew (for now)....

52 Posts

January 7th, 2009 00:00

Hi,

If u r getting message about fan faliure. it may be harmful for your system.So replaced it immediatly or logged with dell if u r in warrenty.

Have a nice day.:emotion-13:

No Events found!