Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

October 14th, 2003 22:00

PCI Ethernet Controller - Which Driver?

I have a Dell Dimension XPS T500.  Service Tag 8XE2S.

Had to clean install Win98SE operating system.  The System Device Manager has the dreaded yellow exclamation point at Other Devices, "PCI Ethernet Controller".

I think this would be resolved by installing the network driver but I don't know which PCI Ethernet Controller driver to install.  Yes, I checked my original invoice as well as the "Original Configuation" listing from Dell Support but neither provides an adequate description. 

There are eight Network Drivers listed in Dell Downloads; at least that many on the Dell ResourceCD.  How can I determine which hardware came with my PC and *precisely*, which driver I need? 

Thanks!

2.8K Posts

October 15th, 2003 00:00

Mangorunner,
According to the component detail I obtained for your system at premieresupport.dell.com it didn't ship with a network card factory-installed. That means you must have added a NIC since you've had the system. Do you recall doing this? Have you had broadband internet service professionally installed? If so your ISP's tech may have put in the NIC. If the network card did not originally come with your computer it could be difficult to determine what brand/model it is unless you have some documentation for it. You could download a program like Belarc Advisor, SiSoft Sandra or AIDA32 to build a hardware and software profile of your system. This should tell you the specific NIC in your system although I'm not certain how detailed that information will be if the device's driver isn't installed.

274 Posts

October 15th, 2003 09:00

just pick one after another until you get the right one

start in the middle

cut the field in half

439 Posts

October 15th, 2003 12:00

From looking at your system info it appears to be an add in card. Open your case and look on the side of the ethernet card for a name and model number. You can then go to the manufacturers site for the proper drivers.

1.1K Posts

October 16th, 2003 13:00

mangorunner,

If you have not done so you should install the chipset driver as this may clear the problem.

No Events found!