Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 14th, 2014 20:00

PCI-e fail? or am I missing something, please help!

Hi there,

I bought a Dell xps 8300 a few years back. It has been great for me and surpassed my expectations for a moderate gaming computer. I believe it came stock with ATI RADEON HD 6450.

Ill get to the point - A few months back the HD became corrupted and every once in a while I would lose my picture. I would have to restart once or twice to get the video back. One day I got the blue screen and it couldn't fix the HD errors itself. So I had to completely reformat the hard drive, even over Dell's backup partition. I had to do this all with onboard graphics. So I got the computer back and working except I have never been able to get the RADEON to work. I tested it in someone elses PC and it works fine. I really hope I don't need to go out and buy a new mobo. I can see the PCI-e in device manager and all looks fine. But I have tried many times to fix this and I just cant seem to work.

THINGS IVE TRIED

Blowing out the PCI-e slot/ video card

Dont see anything useful in the BIOS to help me.

downloaded drivers but they wont install cause the card isnt being recognized

Bought a new PSU to see if I was losing voltage on my stock one

Basically I have been at this for a good 5-6 months and I've run dry, I figured this would be the best place to ask.

Am I missing an obvious solution as to why my PCI-e isnt picking up the card? Will HDMI only work if the drivers are installed previously?

Any tips or possible solutions would make me forever grateful

Regards

No Responses!
No Events found!