Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 12th, 2011 15:00

PCI slot question

Hello, I'm sorry to be asking such a newbie question but for my computer I bought a graphics card that's a little big. I have 2 PCI slots for my Dimensions 4700. One has a Linkys Wireless Router card and the other has the factory direct connection to the internet card (don't know the name of it). My question is will it be ok for me to remove the card which enables direct connection to the internet so, I can have room?

This is the inside view:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4700/sm/techov.htm#wp1052788

6.4K Posts

The Dimension 4700 has an integrated Ethernet interface on the motherboard, so it doesn't seem likely that the card you are looking at is for a network interface.  I would think it more likely that it is a telephone modem card; does it have two telephone jacks on the end of the card you can see from the back of the computer?  If that is indeed what it is there should be no problem with removing the card.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

Mention the model of video card so the gurus here can tell you if your computer model and its power supply can handle it. Why do you need a wireless card? If the router is close by or you can move it closer, you can use the ethernet card--probably what you call the direct connection--and an ethernet cable. All wireless routers have 4 or more ethernet ports you can use. Wireless is normally used for laptops that move around. An ethernet connection is more stable and needs no setup. It just needs to be plugged in.

9 Posts

October 12th, 2011 16:00

I got this card right here:

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

The wireless router is in another room and gets used for a labtop but yeah its the telephone modem card. I'll remove and store it, thanks.

6.4K Posts

October 12th, 2011 18:00

Happy to help.  Good luck!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 12th, 2011 19:00

Assuming you don't use that dial-up modem to connect to the internet, and you remove the card, don't forget to go into Device Manager, find the entry for the modem, and disable it (set it to "Do not use this device").

Don't Uninstall the modem because that will remove its drivers and software. You never know when you might need that dial-up modem again. Been there, done that!

No Events found!