Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 11th, 2012 14:00

PERC5i and Windows 7 64bit on a Dell T5400 workstation ?

Hi,

I would like to install Windows 7 64-bit on a T5400 dual quad 16GB RAM workstation, along with a PERC5i w/BBU card and two Dell WD 1TB  RE3 Enterprise drives in RAID1.

1) I cannot find Windows 7 or WIndows 7 64bit drivers on Dell website, but there is Vista64. Is Win7x64 supported on this machine or not, and should I just get the Vista64 drivers or go to another (safe) drivers website ?

2) Is the Perc5i supported on the T5400 ? Datasheet says Perc6i is supported, but no reference about Perc5i. I assume the airflow would be ok if it is for a Perc6i, or was the Perc5i getting hotter ? Also, is there a place in the T5400 case to attach the battery backup holder ?

3) Is there actually enough space in the T5400 case to accommodate 3 drives (for a RAID 5 setup on Perc5i) ?

Any other issues I should be aware of before proceeding?

Thanks,

Max

5 Practitioner

• 

353 Posts

June 12th, 2012 03:00

Hi Max,

Firstly, officially the PERC 5/i is not supported for the Precision T5400 as it only officially supports the PERC 6 family of controller cards and the SAS 6iR card. That's not to say that it wouldn't work, in fact this post in NotebookReview.com is from a user who has a PERC 5/i card in their Precision T5400.

When the PERC 5/i (not the PERC 5/i Integrated version) were shipped with the Precision range originally, they did not ship with BBUs so there will not be a place in the chassis to hold the battery.

If there are not Windows 7 64-bit drivers, you should be able to use Vista 64-bit drivers without issue.

Lastly, the Precision T5400 can have 3 hard drives installed. Please see this link for further information: <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

I hope that helps!

13 Posts

June 12th, 2012 08:00

Hi John,

Thanks for your detailed response.

One last question: do the Perc5 and 6 have similar cooling needs ? I assume that since the T5400 supports a Perc6 airflow requirements, it should work just as well for a Perc5. Is this correct ? I know this is a common issue with Perc cards used in desktop systems, due to the forced airflow requirements for these cards.

Thanks again,

Max

5 Practitioner

• 

353 Posts

June 13th, 2012 07:00

Hi Max,

We don't have any information available on the heat output of these cards but I would say that I cannot see any reason why they wouldn't have similar cooling needs. As long as airflow isn't impeded in any way, there shouldn't be any problems.

13 Posts

June 13th, 2012 11:00

Thanks John ! I am happy with your answers! Have a GREAT day!

Max

5 Practitioner

• 

353 Posts

June 14th, 2012 06:00

Not a problem at all! If there's anything we can help with in the future, please get in touch!

43 Posts

December 10th, 2013 10:00

Hi John C, I hope this gets to you or someone who can help me with my T5400. I'm trying to install the SAS 6ir card and it was shipped with a small 4-pin connecting cable which I guess attaches to the top between both of the drive connections, but I don't know where it attaches on the chassis or even if it's needed. I didn't receive any instructions and the PDF from Dell doesn't cover it. Thanks, Ray B
No Events found!