Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 5th, 2000 02:00

PLEASE HELP......USB ADAPTER PROBLEM

Hey guys, I just got my new 700r Dimension Dell PC, and well I live in a dorm so the first and only thing I bought and installed was an ethernet USB adapter from Entrega, well I installed it and connected it but after I reboot my system to finalize the changes my system did not start, it sat at the point just before getting into Windows and after loading the autoexec and config.sys .... I then thought I had outsmarted it by unplugging the USB adapter and restarting, after it successfully restarted and got in windows and plugged the adapter back in, but the computer just blue screened with some error referring to windows, I hit any key as displayed and the system returned to Windows with everything appearing black except my still functioning Windows mouse pointer, I unplugged my usb adapter and everything returned to normal,.....What's going on ? Please help asap I have to get on the network as soon as possible to get my thesis which I saved to the network drive and work on it, thanks in advance.

2.5K Posts

Nice machine!

Have you tried checking Entrega website to see if they have an updated driver that you can use to install the device?

I'm using their USBnet and the original driver has problems under Windows 98 Second Edition, and I downloaded their patch in order to stop it from crashing my machines. I also my USBnet adapter from using TCP/IP when the patch caused problems with my Dial-Up connection (cycles of on/off throughput). I sent a message to Entrega 3 weeks ago for help and I still haven't heard from them. Lucky I figured how to bypass the problem.

Also, go to the network properties under Control Panel to see if all the necessary adapters, network protocols, clients, etc. are installed and setup correctly.

GOOD LUCK.

9 Posts

I am thinking about installing a USB port into my XPS soon. When I enter my setup (BIOS) before WINDOWS starts, I notice that there is an option for a USB configuration. The computer notes that a USB Port is not installed. Could that be your answer or solution?
Eric

January 5th, 2000 14:00

Did you contact the DELL Tech Support as yet ?

If your system has USB ports, and DELL's oriiginal setting did not activate them, then go
ahead activate or enable these through the bios set up. I did use this approach on my old
IBM 2142S62 about 11/2 years ealier with no damage. I am wondering if someone at DELL
overlooked enabling the USB ports prior to the shipment.

Please let us know.

Ashok Joshi
ashokj@worldnet.att.net
No Events found!