Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 14th, 2008 06:00

POLL - need your advice

What would you look for in an Economy/Budget Desktop PC as far as specifications?

gdonner wrote -
When I hear "economy", I think of people wanting to do web browsing, e-mail, word processing, and perhaps low-level audio editing, CD/DVD burning. As a general rule though, I would be recommending at least a Core 2 Duo with 2GB of RAM, a 500GB hard drive, Vista (preferably 64-bit), with built-in Nvidia graphics and a good LCD monitor of some kind. Gaming or video editing (IMO anyway) obviously does not fit the "economy" mold, and the specs are of course vastly higher.

287 Posts

November 15th, 2008 07:00

I'm of the opinion that "economy" PC's are normally bought by customers just starting out. They've heard about this World Web thing and would like to see what its all about and maybe do some messing about with music and possibly dable in low level photo work. Once they have found their feet and start looking a little deeper they discover gameing, vidieo editing etc but can't warrent the purchase of another system so look to upgrading what they have.

So to this end a good first PC I think would be one that has low to midrange CD/DVD, power supply, RAM, HD copacity and processor. But the most important thing should be the motherboard. A strong mobo (ATX) with perhaps on-board graphics and enough scope to enable the future upgrade to a decent graphics card and processor could very well double if not trebble the life span of the system, make for a very happy customer and could only serve to promote the company that supplied the system.

So in short, a system that has a great upgrade potential. No one would relish the thought of having to upgrade a mobo just to be able to use a decent GPU and be faced with also haveing to bear the cost of a new operating system.

1 Message

November 15th, 2008 08:00

HOW IN THE HECK do I post a new message on this website  I cannot find a link --to post a question.

My next question is on dell ispiron model ppoix-laptop  Why is this laptop as heavy as two bricks.  And since I am planing on buying a used

laptop, what concerns should I have avout the dell model ppoix--laptop.  Thanks, a bunch of carrots.

By the way how long does this laptop battery last?

141 Posts

November 15th, 2008 20:00

bob barn,

* Go here:
http://en.community.dell.com/
* On the left under Browse by Content Type, click Forums
* On the left, click Laptop (you could save this page as a favorite for future use)
* On the left, click General Hardware
* Near the top under the grey bar, click Start a New Thread

1 Message

November 16th, 2008 13:00

I am having the same problem in posting a new question- so Ia m replying to this one

my PC has been having Warning! Thermal event -alerts upon re-booting - this happened this morning after being on for only 20 minutes- then I  dusted behind unit - fan is working and so far it has not shut down again- but is there something more here going on than just thte fan? CAn I troubleshoot the problem using my PC?

THanks

Phillor

650 Posts

November 17th, 2008 07:00

sorry to hear you are having problems, but this thread is a question about getting a budget PC. Please make a new thread, by clicking on: "Start a New Thread" It shows right under your login info up top, when you click into a forum like "General Hardware" etc

20 Posts

An "Economy" PC is usually something that can not be upgraded much or at all.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220441 - this is an Eee PC. It's like a laptop, but cheaper.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

650 Posts

everyones budget is different.  Today you may have to start with how much you want to spend and go from there.  But truthfully, if you are buying something with Vista as an O.S., 2GB ram is a must.  I helped my father get a new laptop, and we knew we wanted Dell, but he is still a newbie when it comes to Computers so we also looked for cheap. Esp since he is retiring soon after being self employed. So we got him a Dell Ins, and i think it was a 1501 or similar from a BIG chain that sells Dell laptops.

Amd Turion Dual Core 64bit CPU

2GB RAM

Windows Vista

120GB HDD

DVD RW drive

15.4 widescreen

I forget the other specs but i know it was well under $600.  May have been $498 but i forget.

287 Posts

November 17th, 2008 09:00

tstorzuk,

I think you'r right, traditionally an economy PC has been one that can't be upgraded much. I also think that the point Chris is making is what would we consider to be an economy PC. If Dell were to break the mold and produce a system aimed at the newbie, upgradability should, IMHO, be paramount.

Which of the two statements do you think Dell would like to see:

1. I bought my Dell 3 years ago and all I've had to do is upgrade the graphics card and I can play the latest games and do a lot more with my video editing, brilliant little system, you really ought to think about getting one.:emotion-2:

2. I bought my Dell 18 months ago and now I can't play that new game thats all the rage without upgrading the graphics card and mobo and processor and get a new operating system cus the one I got is tied to this mobo, worst thing I ever did getting this machine, I wouldn't bother if I were you.:emotion-12:

Just my 2p worth.

No Events found!