Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 9th, 2011 09:00

PSU requirement for upgrading video card in an Optiplex 760 SFF.

Hey guys,

I'm buying my sister a video card upgrade for her birthday. Im ordering this: http://ncix.com/products/?sku=56242&vpn=N430GT-MD1GD3%2FOC%2FLP&manufacture=MSI%2FMicroStar

Her computer requires a low profile video card so I figured the 430 would be the best one for it according to several benchmark reviews. However, the minimum power requirement of the card is 300w and the PSU in the system is 235W.

Looking at the tech guide here, the Nvidia 330 is supported for the system, which has pretty much the same requirements and dimensions as the 430. http://i.dell.com/sites/content/business/solutions/engineering-docs/en/Documents/optiplex-780-tech-guide.pdf

My question is as follows: Do I absolutely need to upgrade the PSU on this system for the video card, and what replacement PSUs can this system support? I don't think it's a standard ATX so... What's throwing me off is that in the tech guide the 330 is supported, and in the Dell PC customizer you can choose this card to come with it...  Would Dell change the PSU if someone ordered the system with a customized video card? I need to save money and at the same time I don't want to buy a new PSU that won't even work with the system.

Regards,

Nick

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

SallyDesu

Cannot be done, the Optiplex 760 SFF, has a Dell proprietary 235w power supply, due to it's shape and size.

Bev.

4 Posts

So then if the PSU can't be changed, then that must mean that the 430 is supported with the 235W power supply in the PC.

Otherwise Dell wouldn't market the video card options in the manual and on the website, right?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 9th, 2011 10:00

SallyDesu

Yes, that sounds logical.

Could you post a link to the manual/website, where you read this.

Bev.

4 Posts

February 9th, 2011 10:00

http://i.dell.com/sites/content/business/solutions/engineering-docs/en/Documents/optiplex-780-tech-guide.pdf

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 9th, 2011 11:00

Something like this might work. Peak power consumption is around 40 watts, with around 10 watts at idle.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 9th, 2011 11:00

SallyDesu

Thank's for link, I noticed Dell has listed the maximum power consumption of all the supported PCIe x16 video cards.

Sometimes Dell 'tweaks' the video cards they install, to meet their systems specifications.

The GeForce GT 430 has a maximum power draw of 49w and using this card with a 235w power supply would be borderline

You can calculate the power requirements of the Optiplex 760 SFF, HERE

Bev.

Ps. You do know that the link you posted, is for the Optiplex 780, not the 760?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 9th, 2011 13:00

SallyDesu

Good luck.

Personally, I think it will work, as Dell rates their power supplies using the mean average, while other manufacturers rate their power supplies
by the peak power.

Bev.

4 Posts

February 9th, 2011 13:00

Oh sorry I mixed it up. It is the 780 though.

Thank you very much for your help and information =). It's greatly appreciated. I think I'll be buying the GT 430 and hoping everything works out.

15 Posts

January 30th, 2013 06:00

I'm using an Optiplex 780 SFF and the ATI Radeon 3540 video card with DVI output that came with the machine. I want to upgrade the video card (no gaming, just  a better card)

Dell Support lists the ATI Radeon 4550 and the NVIDIA Geoforce GT330 as additional cards that will work with this 780.

Any suggestions?

No Events found!