Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

April 24th, 2005 18:00

Part # for Dimension 8400 Drive Rails

Does someone know what the part# for the Green Drive Mounting Rails is?
I am trying to add a second 250GB SATA Drive and need an additional set of rails.
Already used the spare set...
Sorry for the post, but I could not seem to make myself clear to support in ENGL-IDIAN.

Thanks

4.8K Posts

April 24th, 2005 19:00

lantanbay,

The part number for the pair of rails is either 87VYR or 86DVJ.  Dell spare parts can be reached at 1-800-372-3355.

Steve

May 28th, 2009 19:00

lantanbay,

The part number for the pair of rails is either 87VYR or 86DVJ.  Dell spare parts can be reached at 1-800-372-3355.

Steve

Thanks for this Steve.  I've run across a number of posts that say things to the effect of "The rails are inside", or "They come with the computer".

Fine, if you've got a box that's never been opened.  My 8400 has no spare rails - heck, it has no sides, no top, no bottom, it didn't even have a hard drive!  Rails on the CD-RW and the floppy, that's it.  The 160 gig drive I threw is (and has been, for two years) merrily chugging along sitting loose in the bottom of the drive bay, resting on a stack of napkins from a local fast-food place.

Wolf

4 Posts

May 28th, 2009 22:00

I don't know where you are located but I bet you can find some rails at a local pc shop for a few bucks.  I have a bunch of them lying around from the few cases that I've scrapped and I know a local pc recycler that has them coming out of his ears.

4 Posts

May 29th, 2009 21:00

Hey Wolf,  I accidently deleted your email and then I tried contacting you through the board but it wouldn't let me.  Anyway, here are the names of a couple of e-recyclers in my area (Kansas City, Missouri) that probably have everything you need.  I haven't been to either of them for a while but I'm sure they still recycle Dell's by the hundreds.

http://www.forerunnerrecycling.com/index.htm

http://www.surplusexchange.org/home.html

Here is also a link to the Missour Department of Natural Resources that lists a bunch of e-recyclers througout the state.  I'm sure your local goverment has a list of them in your area but I forgot where you said you were from so I couldn't search for it.  Good luck finding what you need.

http://www.dnr.mo.gov/env/hwp/computerlist.htm

May 30th, 2009 13:00

Thanks Helvis!  All the local shops I tried (Tucson, AZ) claimed not to have any of "those" parts - but they'd be more than happy to sell me a bigger, faster, newer machine that would walk and talk, and even do my dishes for me!

No thanks guys, I LIKE my Dell!  I'll see if I can find some local recyclers and see what they've got, and then expand my search from there.

You've raised a good point though.  I wonder how many perfectly good parts get tossed in the trash because of a "dead" computer, and stores that are more interested in sales than in customer service?  But that's a whole 'nuther rant, and entirely OT.

Thanks again!

Wolf

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 30th, 2009 19:00

Here you go, Dell OEM rails for the 8400 for $1.99 at Centrix.  At that price you can buy.... :emotion-4:

Ron

No Events found!