Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 17th, 2014 10:00

Partitions in new XPS 8700

I just got a xps 8700 and have it up and running Windows 8.1, with no problems.  I notice that Dell has installed a number of partitions and am curious about what they do.  I imagine they have something to do with maintenance.  They are named;

ESP

WINRETOOLS

NTFS (1-6)

PBR Image

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 18th, 2014 09:00

Hi Ian1937,

The ESP (EFI System Partition) is used by machines that adhere to the Extensible Firmware Interface. It contains the boot loader programs for all operating systems installed (in other partitions) on the device, device driver files (used by the firmware at boot time) for other devices, and system utility programs that are intended to be run before an operating system is booted.

WINRETOOLS is the Windows recovery partition, and PBR is also used for system recovery. NTFS is your operating system partition.

103 Posts

January 19th, 2014 10:00

Thanks Osprey,

I googled all your descriptions and now have a better understanding of what is going on in my computer.  Hope I never have to use any of those partitions!

1 Message

February 12th, 2014 08:00

I have an XPS 8700 as well, but I would like to re-install Windows 8 onto my system in order to maximize my drive space, remove any crapware, and create separate C & D drive partitions. I obtained the OS installation disk from Dell and would like to perform a custom install. Question is, can I remove any or all of the partitions you mentioned above? Will the Dell OS disk just re-create them? What effects will not having those partitions, have on my system?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 12th, 2014 16:00

Hi Romanjp

Yes, you can remove all of them. Make sure you have a disk imaging tool to SAVE THE DISK IMAGE after you install. That will make the next installation much easier.

38 Posts

May 4th, 2014 01:00

I've ordered the Dell OS install disks.   If they are used for a reinstallation of Win 7, what partitions will be created?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 4th, 2014 14:00

I've ordered the Dell OS install disks.   If they are used for a reinstallation of Win 7, what partitions will be created?

Lone Star

When you custom install Win 7, you delete and create the partitions, as part of reinstalling W7

Sections 10 to 15.

Also, here:

Bev.

No Events found!